Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where did you find your Pine bark fines

Posted by dickiefickle 5B DousmanWi. (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 27, 11 at 0:23

Looking to hear where is a good place to find pine bark mulch fines suitable for a soil mix. Seems to be difficult to find small enough sized pieces.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where did you find your Pine bark fines

I'm too lazy to look up the meaning of pine bark mulch fines, so would you mind telling me what it is?
pondy

o

not nuggets, not shredded. roughly 1/8" size.

o

• Posted by mean 4A (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 29, 12 at 17:08

I found some at a large plant place in the twin cities metro area a couple of years back - Gertens maybe?

o

FYI,
Many people here buy the purple bags of mulch from Wally World. They are 1/2-1" pine chips and work very well in potting formulas. Very cheap here.

o

1/2 -1 inch pieces are too large for potting mixes
looking for dust to 3/8 inch with highest concentration at
1/8 to 3/8

o

I find my pine bark fines at Petsmart..... they sell it under the name of repti-bark. It is expensive I think for the amount you actually buy, I got 48 quarts of the bark for 50 dollars, but I would pay that price for the product... it is clean, just the right size from the bag, and though not important for the mix, it smells amazing. Let me know what you decide, I too, am always looking for a new product to try...... I was going to try the stuff from wally world until I heard that using partially composted materials would be bad for the mix......

Keep me posted!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here