Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noinwi

Catnip Skeeter Spray

noinwi
18 years ago

For those of you in the Roll Call thread that were interested in my homemade repellent, I just fill a jar half way with cheap vodka and start stuffing catnip leaves in it as soon as they're harvest size, let them set for a week or so in a dark cupboard, then replace them with fresh leaves, adding vodka as needed. Sometimes I'll add lemon verbena or lemon catmint leaves to the brew. I do this for the whole summer, taking a little out and mixing it in a spray bottle with water when needed. Some people get really scientific about it, wanting to know the percentage of nepetalactones and such but I just wing it. It doesn't last as long as deet, but it does last at least an hour and it doesn't make me sick the way deet does(and cats love me where ever I go). The commercial products would probably last longer. I haven't done any official tick testing(I'm too chicken), so when I go into tick territory, I still use the heavy artillary. If anyone else has experience using catnip to repel ticks I would really like to hear from you.

Comments (4)

Sponsored