Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kat_5b_sewis

Our 1st snowstorm of the season in SE Wisconsin

Looks like we're getting our 1st snowstorm of the season. Right now (4am) it's snowing and the wind is really howling out there. Everything's turning white. We can expect up to 10" when it's all done. We have a storm warning until 3pm Friday. I leave for work at 1:30 pm so I hope the roads will be pretty well taken care of by then. We're going to have some really cold nites ahead too. Lows in the teens. So I'm glad we're having this snow to protect the plants. Luckily I got the outside Xmas decorations up when we had the nice weather. Now I just have to get the rest of the inside decorations up.

Hope you're all staying nice and warm!

Kat

Comments (4)

• bud_wi
    17 years ago

The papers say this was the first blizzard in seven years. I've looked everyware to buy salt for my walkways and every place is OUT.

I went to the gorcery store today and all the shelves were bare. I don't know if it was because the delivery trucks couldn't make it out to the stores or people panicked and stocked up. There was no bread, just a couple of packages of hot dog buns. The meat counter was bare and practically empty. Fruits and Veggies were low. Even the canned and packaged goods on the shelves were sparse.

I haven't seen this happen since the "Blizzard of '79".

At least now my neighbor's holiday lights look nice against the snow. The past years I felt sorry for all the plastic snowmen and Santas sitting on brown grass all winter.

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We got a little under 12" for this storm. I'm glad we got that much because of the really cold weather we've been having. It's helping my plants.
    We have salt left over from last year so didn't notice if there was a shortage. Hubby and I bought plenty of food before the storm so I don't know if our store was affected. I do remember in past years where there were big storms in the forecast and everyone went crazy buying food! LOL!
    I remember one December in the late 1990's that we had 48 or 49" of snow for that one month. It snowed every day except 4 days during that month. After December we didn't get anymore snow until the next winter. Really weird. Of course that snow hung around a good long time!
    Now it looks like we're going to lose some of the snow we just got. It looks like it's going to hit 40 on Monday and Tuesday. I can handle that. :)

Kat

• justaguy2
    17 years ago

Well you folks went and did it. You talk about this early snow storm and the rest of the month here ends up resembling Florida more than Wisconsin.

Not complaining, but my kid wants to go sledding and I prefer he sled in snow rather than mud.

Somebody complain about the warm, wet weather so we get a cold snap.

Oh, wait, I just did.

Get those snow blowers gassed up folks, the big one is coming now!

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I don't think it's quite like Florida. My older brother lives near Ocala Fl., and I talked to him on Christmas. He said it was 75. I think the weather's been great so far. Our lawn is nice and green yet. :) I do have to say, a beautiful snow fall where the snow sticks to the trees is a sight to see. But I can do without if the temps stay in the 30's or higher.

Kat

Sponsored
Steadfast Construction
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Arlington County's Experienced Custom Deck Builder I Best of Houzz