Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elvis_gw

How much snow do you have?

elvis
18 years ago

We've got about 10" of lovely insulating snow to protect our perennial babies. Yaaaay!

Snowmobile trails in Vilas County open today at noon. Christmas will definitely be white.

Anybody not got snow?

Constance.

Comments (53)

• jan44
    18 years ago

At least a foot here in SW. It's been a few years since we've had this much before Christmas.

• periwinklez3b
    18 years ago

We have a little bit less than Elvis.
    It was so pretty yesterday (& today too) with the sun shining on it.
    Jan44--my SIL from Madison said the same thing. It's been awhile for people in the SW part of Wis.
    It Does protect our perennials.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    18 years ago

There's about 4 or 5" of snow on the ground now. Better than last year. We'd get some last year, then it would melt, then turn bitter cold. At least now they're being protected. Right now (5pm) it's 12 with a wind chill of zero. Tonite the winds will pick up and the wind chill is expected to be -10. I think I need to win the lottery so I can get a winter home where it's warm! :)
    Periwinkle, beautiful pic! I love the crab apple trees in winter with their fruit looking so good.

Kat

• sandlady
    18 years ago

Lovely picture Periwinkle. Is it my imagination or is there a blue bird on that branch? I saw several in my yard the other day and was surprised they were still here. They were all trying to fit into the same little bluebird house. Anyone else still seeing blue birds?

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    18 years ago

We have cardinals here, but I've never seen any blue birds.

Kat

• periwinklez3b
    18 years ago

Hi Kat and Sandlady: Thank you very much; I just love flowering crabs--as year-round plants in my yard. For texture, a little bit of red color in the winter/juxtaposed against the snow.............
    The migrating robins just loved my largest tree this past October.
    The little fluffball you're seeing is a chickadee. I hate to admit it but I've never seen a bluebird!
    Last week there were some Waxwings in the largest fl. crab. I'm not sure if they were Cedar Waxwings or Bohemian Waxwings but they sure were sleek and beautiful.

• elvis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good morning! Denise, isn't it strange that all of our flowering crabs still have their fruit? Normally, the cedar waxwings clean them off in late fall. I just love the way the tiny apples look against the snow...

• elvis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Okay, Copper. I'm interested in your:

achillea ptarmica
    amaranthus 'Intense Purple'
    chamomile 'German'
    pink/white columbine
    painted daisy
    pink salvia
    mg 'Mt. Fuji'

What would you like of mine?

Constance Valkenaar
    P.O. Box 1674
    Eagle River, WI 54521

• gardeningmomof3
    18 years ago

We got 6.5 inches from Snowstorm Amy. It is snowing out right now. Anybody want some more just bring your shovels.

• elvis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Teehee. Actually, with snowmobile season in full swing, we could use some of that--we have minimal conditions on the trails. We are the self-proclaimed Snowmobile Capital of the World with the World Championship Derby annually. Kind of a pain really, with sleds all over the place, crossing the roads in front of you, etc. Good for the local economy, though. Around here snow is known as 'white gold'.

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    18 years ago

Hi,
    You guys are so lucky. We have had lots of show here, but then it keeps raining and wrecking it. :( I'll take as much snow as I can get. Love it. Protects the plants as well as being beautyful and useful (for skiing, snowmobiling and snowshoeing.) Lots of turkeys this year.
    Catrina

• posy_gurl
    18 years ago

Hi
    I love the snow! We had a great snow base but today it has done nothing but rain!! What a sloppy mess! I was looking forward to doing some snowmobiling this week.
    Boo Hoo

• ConifersRule
    18 years ago

We had great snow for weeks starting Thanksgiving, but it's gone now. Trees are breaking bud.

• putzer
    18 years ago

Rain, rain, fog, gray.

I am buying flower seeds :)

• sandy_wi
    18 years ago

Rain, Rain, go away...... It is January, and I want snow! Love the stuff this time of the year. Would have loved to see the kids spend their last day before school starts, playing outside in some snow - it is January isn't? What was up with the thunder and lightning this morning?????

• paquebot
    18 years ago

Went from a a super nice warm insulating foot or so to green grass and mud. Real shock was to see fresh nightcrawler mounds this morning, 4 January. And crawlers up again tonight! Now I'll be worrying about all the garlic for the rest of the winter. Began collecting Christmas trees today to strip the boughs off for added mulch. No complaints when I don't hear the furnace working very hard!

Martin

• clairewags
    18 years ago

Nothin. It's all gone. Had it in great abundance. It makes me feel like we are going to get a very cold snap any day now while all our plants are exposed.

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    18 years ago

We've got nothing now too. Myself, I don't mind. I'm happy with the warmer temps and rain..saves on the gas bill and after a very dry summer the plants can use the rain. But I have to admit, it does look good with the snow. :) I do worry about a bad cold snap coming too. No snow for protection. But right now it's fine.

Kat

• elvis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We've still got at least 6" up here in Eagle River. And it's sunny today! First time we've seen the sun in 3 weeks. With highs being in the upper 30's we're bound to lose some snow. Still cold at night, though. I'm sure not complaining about the mild winter--maybe an early spring this year?

• lynxville
    18 years ago

It's 50 in Milwaukee today, no snow, went outside without a jacket.

In southwest Wisconsin the blue birds stay all winter. They watch the bird house they bred in last season. Think they keep other birds away, so it's theres in spring.

• tootswisc
    18 years ago

The snow is gone gone gone. Ice shanties are off the lakes in Madison. I wonder if there will be the kites on ice event this year.

• putzer
    18 years ago

If I stare hard enough, my lawn looks green :)

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    18 years ago

Putzer, I just mentioned to my hubby about how the lawn is green. Usually by now it's rather ugly. Funny, I think our grass is greener now than it was this past summer! LOL!!

Kat

• elvis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello, all. We got another 4" snow last night, so it's quite the winter wonderland. Temps in the mid to high 20's. Whew! We were down to about 6", with total meltdown at the southern exposure up against the house where my Clara Curtis lives. What a winter! But! It ain't over till well, you know. We could still be in for a stinker of a February.

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    18 years ago

Hi,
    What a crazy winter. So warm, so rainy, it's no good for plants or skiers or bubble heads. The trail that runs through our property has not even been open this year. The herbs are green and getting new growth. Stuff is growing like crazy inside the green house, people are going through the ice :( . Granite peak by some miricle has stayed fully open, but icy and not very good. I guess I picked a good winter to have surgery. Thanks goodness we got 6" the last two days and they ended up not having to cancel the badger stated games. Over a foot at Post lake north of Antigo.
    I feel like we have to get a real doosy in Feb.
    Catrina

• elvis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yup, catrina. We got over a foot since my last post on 1/17. Snowmobiling and X-country skiing are great :) Beds are fully insulated with snow as is my WS on the deck. Gotta love that! We've been in the 20's and 30's above F for weeks, but now we're sliding into colder tempies. 9 above this a.m., and similar temps expected all week. Sure does look pretty out there, though. :)

Con.

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    18 years ago

Snowing again today :) Maybe we'll get some good winter yet. I have my skis in getting waxed and sharpened even though the doc is still saying no. The snowmobile trails are still closed south of 29 but maybe this weekend.
    Catrina

• User
    18 years ago

At this writing...nada. Sigh

• elvis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wowsers! We have a good 18" on the ground, and are expecting 6" to 12" more this end of week. Cold temps, too--supposed to get subzero later this week. Well, that's okay. We've gotten away with a very mild winter considering I live in the Frozen Tundra.

If it warms up a bit, maybe some downhill skiing at Ski Brule.

WS is all set out on the deck; can't wait to start the indoor stuff (I'm thinking April, as I have grow lights in the greenhouse).

Anyone else got an update in your neck of the woods? And speaking of your neck of the woods, are all you guys on the Wisconsin member map?

Constance.

• putzer
    18 years ago

We have a winter storm warning...supposed to get 6-12" by tomorrow night. Usually that means we will get 2" lol

We will see :)

• elvis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

'Mornin, Putzer. We're calling for 4-8, with the heavier band going Wausau to Green Bay area (12+). It started early this a.m., fine stuff. As you said, we'll see...

I am NOT looking forward to the -20 they say we'll get Sat. a.m. Finally pulled out the big guns last night--long coyote coat with attached hood. I'm ready :0

Gee--hope I don't start a
    'cruelty to animals' thing here--

A girl's gotta do what she's gotta do!

Constance.

• User
    18 years ago

about a foot, now.

• putzer
    18 years ago

We got quite a bit-so far, I believe we are at 8.5" of snow and now it is just FREEZING!

I once had a bunny coat-it was THE warmest coat I have ever had! It is supposed to get colder and colder here as well-makes me wish we had wood heat! (There is nothing warmer than wood heat, imo)

• noinwi
    18 years ago

I just took the dog out for his morning business...yikes! Even he didn't want to go far from the building. The thermometer on the building says -5 and that doesn't include the wind chill! We only got a dusting of snow last night to top off our accumulation of about 8"-10" for the season so far. The major dumps have been few and far between(not that I'm complaining).

• elvis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Putzer, I hear ya about wood heat--used to have it. It's kinda fun makin' wood, but soooo messy in the house :0

Noinwi--you probably got about what we did yesterday--4" or so. My Gordon Setter (Elvis), skinny thing that he is, didn't want to go out either. He looked at me like "can't I use George's litter box downstairs?", LOL. Buckley, the Labradoodle, just loves it; the colder the better. He runs hot with that crazy Poodle coat. Definitely a good breed for the Northwoods!

We're looking at -20 by the a.m. Yikes!

Con.

• noinwi
    18 years ago

Elvis,
    My dog loves the snow too, but he's 10+ and has bad hips...so temps this low kinda slow him down. He's a shepherd or spitz cross and has a thick coat and will usually bury his head in the snow and roll around for a while, but he was ready to come right back in this morning.
    Hope everybody stays warm this weekend!

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    18 years ago

Hi Yall,
    Only 8" with the big storm, we got shorted that last 4". I'm sitting here by the toasty fire, of course that means that the furnace won't go on and my bedroom will be almost as cold as out side which is right now; lets just say waaaaay below zero. The trails opened today, but haven't seen anyone yet. Too cold I guess or they all went up north. We're hunkering down this weekend. Had planed to go to the fisharee on Post lake, but I don't really want to when it's this cold. I was up on the mountain last night snowshoeing before it got too cold and boy, what a work out. I went into the woods between the runs and was sinking in up to my thighs in some places. Of course they cheat though in getting all that snow.
    Stay warm,
    Catrina
    Oh yeah, my coat is duck down and goes to the floor like a sleeping bag with arms and a hood.

• elvis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oooh, Catrina--that coats sounds heavenly. I hope you didn't have to sleep in it with the heat out and all!

Now, tell us--what were you doing off the trail up to your thighs in snow? Hmmm?

Just kidding--

Constance.

• milwdave
    18 years ago

She was 'trailblazing', of course....:)

• elvis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Of course, Dave! I should have recognized that, having done a bit of trailblazing myself. It can be a lot of fun trailblazing near a busy snowmobile trail :0

• gardeningmomof3
    18 years ago

Well another snow fall.UUUGggh. We got about three inches so far. Its still coming down farily good. How much did everyone else get this time around? Sure looks more like winter. Only good thing is its not gonna last long, to be in the 40's this week with rain in the forcast.Spring is a comin, slowly but surely:) Just one more snowfall for the kids to enjoy, and the kids at heart.

• milwdave
    18 years ago

Only about 2" here in Franklin, but still falling.

Dave

• noinwi
    18 years ago

We got about 3-4 inches over here on the western side. The plow guy never came through the parking lot this morning so I hope that's a sign it'll all be gone soon.

• elvis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We got a solid 5+ with more falling...it's supposed to warm up a bit, though--I'm thinking tree tapping soon :)

Con.

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    18 years ago

It looks to me like we got about 3" or so of the white stuff. It does look nice. It should be gone in a few days because of the rain and warmer weather we're supposed to get. I'm looking forward to that! :) I want to see my daffs and irises come up. They're all covered up right now.

Kat

• noinwi
    18 years ago

TWO FEET! AAGGHH!!! Barron county had to shut the roads down and pull the plows due to lack of visibilty. They're open this morning, though. I hope everyone has made it on the roads safely!

• sandylovesflowers
    18 years ago

Are you kidding me, two feet of snow? I wish! I love a good snow storm now and then, we just don't seem to get those down here in SEWI. We are in a winter weather advisory for tomorrow, Thursday, and are expecting 2" to 4" inches of the white stuff! Enjoy and stay safe. Sandy

• elvis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

noinwi, we heard about you guys--bummer! Except for the sledheads, I 'spose. We got 6"+, and the trails are back in business. It's funny, because we almost put in the Maple taps last weekend, LOL. That's okay, though. We're not really ready due to remodeling issues inside. Sandy, good luck tomorrow. Actually, aren't you in an advisory today?

Drive carefully!

Con.

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    18 years ago

None!!! Horay the last patches in the woods and behind the garage are gone! It's spring!
    Catrina

• elvis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The veggie garden is clear of snow--as of yesterday. And the lake's almost all open!

This is waaaay to early; but we're diggin' it :)

Get it?

Con.

Sponsored