Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

How big is your yard ?

toomuchglass
18 years ago

Being in the city - my yard is very small. (Plus having 3 dogs nearly destroyed it.) It's ready for a make over this year. How about you ? Do you have alot of room to grow things ?

Comments (8)

• Copperlilac
    18 years ago

I live in a subdivision and we have a decent sized yard. Maybe 1/2 acre. (I think). But, I also have the problem with my dogs wrecking things. 2 years ago, they destroyed 3 flower beds. Last year I dug up what I could salvage and moved to an area where they're not allowed. But the one remaining bed that they have access to was beat up quite a bit. Thankfully, it was filled with some tough hostas that I'm sure will come back again.
    I think in 2006, I'll be putting up some type of barrier to save the remaining area. It's a really neat shade bed that I just love...and I don't want to tear out and move the whole thing.

Anyway, I am lucky enough to have quite a bit of yard to work with. I keep teasing hubby and telling him that I'm going to take over the yard with flowers and he'll have nothing left to mow. ;)

Copper

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    18 years ago

We don't have a large one, but I'm filling it with gardens. When we first moved here, we rented a roto-tiller and put gardens around the garage, along the back fence and one side of the deck. We have a lot of clay here so I had to amend everything. 3 other gardens I used the lasagna method. That is so easy! Much better than digging in clay. I also have one of those gardens where there are cables underground so I couldn't dig anyways. I would like more gardens, but my hubby is one of those strange people who wants a lawn! LOL! Little by little though we're seeing less grass around here. :)

Kat

• elvis
    18 years ago

Kat, you should talk to Denise about lasagna beds. She's good at it!

I live in the woods, so there is lots of room. Also lots of deer and other assorted critters!

Copper, I hear you about the dogs--Elvis is a real gentleman, but Buckley is nuts! I watched him do this from the window. He goes to the flowerbeds, carefully backs up, hangs his furry butt over the railroad tie border, and craps into the flowerbed. ROFLMAO! Let me tell you, on a warm day, the 'perfume' coming from those beds into the house can knock you over!

• periwinklez3b
    18 years ago

Hi kathy: You can do so much with a small yard (and it sounds like you're enjoying your yard And Dogs--so that's most important! I wish I remembered the name of the book I checked from the library last summer. It was written in Canada--was a big coffetable-sized volume---and was about how people's yards and pastime of gardening changed after WWII. Everybody had a house that looked the same, with a small yard, front and back. The front plantings were low-growing evergreens and that was about it.
    The author showed the progression of her yard-----AHA!! It was called "Front Yard Gardens"--I think.
    Anyway, the author left a good-sized, mowable area of lawn for her husband in the backyard. The front yard was Totally a garden---and it looked Awesome!
    Just have fun with it and don't take on too much. :)

Hey Elvis! I made 3 new lasagna beds this past summer; all about 15-20 feet long. The topsoil I got for 2 of the beds was from a cranberry bog---just as rich and black as could be.

• elvis
    18 years ago

Cool, Denise. How'd you arrange to get the cranberry soil?

Con.

• gardeningmomof3
    18 years ago

I live in the country, so we have lots of room for flower beds. Its about an acre and a half we have the house on. My DH doesn't mind how many flower beds as long as I can keep them up. Most are just slightly raised with landscaping timbers. We also have a small garden for vegetables. However, I'm still debating on that for next year. It might just turn into either another flower bed. LOL or a big strawberry bed. Nummy!

Katusha, your DH can come mow ours if he needs to have a lawn.LOL Plant away.

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    18 years ago

Hi,
    We live on 16 acers, about 2.5 cleared. But before you wish you had all this room remember room dosen't help if you don't have time and good soil. Can you say sandy gravel pit? I do have plenty (too many gardens, but every step of it means hauling in material.) Living in the country also means plenty of weeds and uninvited critters as Elvis has already mentioned.
    Catrina

• Bette_WI
    18 years ago

Hi, I have 40 acres. I only have 3 small flower gardens, a few rose bushes and a small veggie garden so far. Bette

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio