Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noinwi

which tomatoes?

noinwi
18 years ago

Can anyone tell me what are the best tomatoes they've grown in WI? More specifically NW WI? I have grown Brandywine here and they've done ok, but I'd like an earlier one also. Thanks in advance!

Comments (18)

• elvis
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I had wonderful success with Polish Black Krim, and it's early, too. Also had great results with Green Zebra. The different colors look really nice canned--different. If you like, I'll check my stash and see if I have some extra.

Happy New Year!

Constance.

• noinwi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I appreciate it Constance, but it's not necessary. I haven't purchased any new seed in a few years and I was planning on ordering some this year. I'll add the Black Krim to my list. I've already gotten a couple of catalogs, so I'll go through them again and see if it's available. I'm a little embarrassed to say,I've been trying to use up all the seed I bought for y2k! I finally ran out of pepper and mater seeds(I've been lazy about harvesting seed). I can't believe it's been 5 years already! Frankly, I'm a little disappointed we weren't all forced to go "back to the land", but then I guess we wouldn't be conversing here and I wouldn't be getting all this great info!

• paquebot
    18 years ago

What's the best tomato in Wisconsin? Wisconsin 55, of course! It's the best all-purpose tomato that has ever been developed. It also has a yellow sister that few knew about, now called Wisconsin 55 Gold. Check out the deal below. I've also been known to deliver!

Martin

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Seed Offer

• big_dummy
    18 years ago

My daughter, her family, and myself like "Tatar of Mongolstan" by far the best. They are also quite rare. "Tatar" is about a 69 to 80 day tomato

The wife holds out for "Stupice". It is a 60 day after transplant. This tomato is almost always the first of the season.

I do want to get ahold of Wisconsin 55 seed though. They are on my want list for 2006.

Happy Holidays
    Jim

• noinwi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I planted 2 Stupice this year, the last of that seed I had. They didn't do too well, though, as we had just moved in April and I started everything late. I didn't have time or money to amend the soil. It was all I could to clear and turn areas in the raised bed. I also planted 2 each of Costoluto Genovese, RomaVF, and Oregon Spring and all of them got blossom end rot to varying degrees. Apparently, none of the other tenants have gardened in a while, so the bed's been neglected. Oh, and I also overwintered a hanging Tumbler that actually produced pretty well.
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll have quite a few varieties to check out.

• noinwi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jim, I goofed. It wasn't Stupice that I grew, it was Siletz. I'll add Stupice to my list.

• paquebot
    18 years ago

I was never impressed with Stupice having first grown it in '83 or '84. Other than being early, it didn't have much else good going for it, especially when better-tasting varieties became ripe.

If you're up in the really short season part of the state, there are a number of Russian or Siberian varieties which are early. Mother Russia had no problem with the non-summer of 2004 when everything else was almost a month late. Disadvantage to that one can grow tired of it when better varieties ripen.

John Baer is another one not affected much by cooler weather. If you can't find it by that name, it also goes by Bonny Best. As John Baer, it's a grandparent of our famous Wisconsin 55!

Martin

• noinwi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'll probably go overboard trying different types this year. I only grow for DH and I, but what I can't use I'll share with the other tenants. Our raised bed is about 10' x 20'. I was the only one that planted anything this summer, but next season I might be confined to 1/4 to 1/2 of the bed(now that I cleaned it all up). It will still be enough space to do(mostly)maters, peppers, and herbs. I can add some containers if need be. There's also a steep(uphill) bank on the east side of the building that has an overgrown ornamental strip. If I can muster enough energy, I can clean it out and plant between the perennials. Whew! I'm getting tired already!

• Copperlilac
    18 years ago

I had great luck with Oregon Spring and Green Zebra. I had Green Zebra salsa coming out of my ears!!! LOL

Copper

• big_dummy
    18 years ago

noinwi

If you would like any of the seed I have let me know. I live fourty miles from Rice Lake. Heck we are almost neighbors.

Big Dummy

• elvis
    18 years ago

Speaking of tomatoes, does anybody besides me use Wall O'Waters?

• noinwi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Big D. I'm actually looking forward to checking out the seed racks this year. It'll give me a reason to hit the garden centers early. I've seen Wisconsin 55 in some catalogs so if I don't find it locally, I'll send for it.
    When DH and I first moved out here 3 years ago we lived about 20 miles west of Hayward, in Washburn county, then moved to Barron county 9 months ago. I did like the area farther north and I'm hoping we can move back to that area in the future.

• gardeningmomof3
    18 years ago

Elvis. Can't say as I've heard of Wall o'Waters. Are they good for canning? That's what I do mostly with tomatoes. I can, using Rutgers tomatos. Other tomatos I've grown were beefsteak, & roma.

noinwi: If you'd like send me your addy and I'll give you the tomato seeds I have left from last year. (beefsteak,rutgers and roma, ) I'm skipping doing them this year, even though last year was the best year ever. Maybe thats why. I've seen enough of em for a year or two *smile

Suzanne

• elvis
    18 years ago

Suzanne, Wall O'Waters are plastic teepees comprised of 18 tubes you fill with water and set out till they get warm. You then put your indoor grown tomato plants in the teepees and they are protected from the cold. I set my plants out in these after the snow is gone, usually early to late May. Haven't had one freeze yet. They're sold in seed catalogs.

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    18 years ago

Hi,
    For me Stupice has always been the earliest too, but I agree, not impressive as far as taste, disease resistance or over all production. I still plant one to get that really early mater. Many cherries are also quite early. My new favorite for earlies is silver fir. Not really a great tasting tomato either but better than stupice. A pretty little plant with lacy leaves that is disease resistant and produces all season. For canning san marzano can't be beat. Not the best flavor for the pasters, but compact plants that really kick out the fruit in waves. If you can get your hands on any tomatoes from Russia do it. They are early and yummy, just starting to evaluate these. For flavor any of the Germans, but especially German Johnson. They take a lot longer and some years you only get a few per plant before they freeze off, but they are worth it. Love all the different colors too. You just have to plant enough that you still have plenty even though they don't start comming before they are almost done. I love wall o waters, but I don't have nearly enough of them. I'm trying them in the greenhouse to get spinach mid winter. Has anyone tried the red ones? Do you think they are any better than clear?
    Catrina
    Catrina

• big_dummy
    18 years ago

noinwi

Below is a small part of a study done by the University of Wisconsin and their three Ag stations. It puts up a pretty good argument for Stupice.

I wish I could post the three file report here as it has some interesting data. But in the one file, a table and the other two that are spread sheets, every thing gets corrupted.

I looked for a E-mail address, none to be found so copied and pasted the bare min. here.

I think your soil, water available, Fert. etc all contributes to production and taste. Also taste is extremely different for everybody. It would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing.

I have had the same tomato variety grown on opposite sides of the Couderay River and they tasted different. Clay (south) to Sand (north).

It all boils down to what your taste buds tell you!!

Big Dummy

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ethnic Heirloom Tomato Performance for Fresh Market Production

Evaluation project by Dr. Robert Tomesh, Tom Syverud, Kevin Schoessow, Florence Johnson and other University of Wisconsin participants.

There are many qualities that make todays hybrid tomato selections important to commercial growers: maximum yield, uniformity in size and shape, the ability to ripen fruit simultaneously, tough skins that withstand long-distance shipping and handling, and extended "fresh" shelf life. Heirloom varieties, often selected for their prized qualities more than 60 years ago, offer unique vine-ripe flavor, genuine textures, freshness and extended harvest. People who want vegetable quality and the nostalgia of ethnic heritage varieties will want to consider heirloom selections for their table.

Some of the challenges facing home and fresh market tomato growers include fruit splitting, handling and holding issues, transportation, and disease. These issues become even more challenging when considering the many heirloom tomatoes that are available today. Fresh market tomato growers need information on which heirloom tomato varieties would be best suited for market production.

In 2003 an evaluation project was initiated to determine the suitability of heirloom tomatoes for fresh market production. Select ethnic and commercial heirloom tomatoes were grown at the West Madison, Hancock, Spooner and Ashland Agriculture Research Stations. ÂWisconsin 55Â, planted by many Wisconsin growers, was selected as a performance comparison. Performance comparisons for fresh market production selections were fruit size, earliness, fruit deformities, texture, disease and potential for fresh market sales; for flavor were the results of taste tests preformed by area Master Gardeners; for earliness were the results of using ÂWisconsin 55Â as the check; and for canning were the results of fruit containing high solids, flavor, large size, smooth shoulders and limited ribbing and misshape. The selections for flavor are subjective and the results of individual choice.

Table 1 summarizes the potential of each variety for fresh market potential, flavor, earliness and canning. Following table one are descriptions of the varieties grown and some brief comments about their performance. Please note that these comments were made from observations obtained from three sites but for only one growing season.

There are some other factors to consider when growing heirloom tomatoes for market. Heirlooms often have very delicate skins. One suggestion is to pick tomatoes just before they are ripe, as skins are less delicate. Cut rather than pull the tomato off the vine, just
    ------------------
    Stupice  One of the four original Czechoslovakian varieties sent to the US by Milan Sodomka. Potato-leaf 4 plants loaded with 2 ½" by 2" diameter fruits borne in clusters. Extremely early, great flavor. Heavy yields all season. Produces very well in northern climates. Indeterminate, 55-70 days from transplant.
    -Comments: Fruit slightly smaller than WI 55, ripens 3 weeks earlier than WI 55, good disease resistance, some cracking after rains, steady producer throughout the season, even into fall until frost, good flavor, medium texture excellent consideration for early and late season fresh market production.

• noinwi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Big Dummy,Catrina,and All,
    I appreciate the info. I've been gardening(or trying to)off and on since 1988, and unfortunately haven't lived in one place long enough to establish a decent garden. This has prevented me from getting consistant results with tomatoes. I haven't had the chance to become the connoisseur I'd like to be. All I know is, any tomato that I've grown, no matter how poorly done, is way better than any I've bought from the supermarket.
    I will be growing Stupice this year, as well as Wisconsin 55, Black Krim, and I received free Persimmon seeds from TGS. I grew Stupice several years ago in Washington state but I can't remember what it tasted like. I'm sure I just thought "Yum, fresh tomato!" In Washington I used to listen to a gardening radio show hosted by Ciscoe Morris, originally from Wisconsin. He often commented on how different Early Girl(one of his faves from WI) tasted like a totally different tomato when grown in WA, and not in a good way, as it would develop a tough skin and not as much flavor due to the cool summer and amount of rain. Even so, Early Girl is popular in WA.
    I had tried Brandywine once in WA and it never ripened, but I grew it here year before last and was wowed by the taste.
    I consider everything I grow an experiment and I'm looking forward to trying at least some of the varieties that have been suggested in this thread. I'll let you know how they turn out for me.

• pappabell
    15 years ago

John Baer is NOT the same as Bonny Best..........................Check the 1929 livingston seed catalog