Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvtosharedivs

Be careful out there!

luvtosharedivs
16 years ago

Our first measurable snowfall is coming down fast here in SE WI. I can see I-94 from my house, and the motorists are slowing down, but not slow enough, as far as I'm concerned. It seems that every year some people forget how to drive in the wet sloppy stuff, and end up in ditches, or sliding into each other.

Don't know how much we'll get, the weatherman usually gives us a wide range of possibilities: 2-6", and how much of it will stay on the ground is yet to be seen. If it turns to rain, then most of the snow will be washed away. I just hope we don't get 6" of snow with a 1-2" crust of ice on top of it.

How much of the fluffy stuff is everyone getting?

Julie

Comments (12)

• carriedaway
    16 years ago

Ick! I had promised my daughter we would drive into Madison this weekend to replace her ipod (it had gone through the washer and she was quite devastated ) So we went in early and wow, when it started it really started! We were home by noon and the roads were already covered. I can hear the sleet hitting the house now I just hope the trees and electric lines can handle it!

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Our power just came back on after a couple-hour-outage, for whatever reason, and it took a while to get my computer back to normal. I was on the internet, and copying something from the internet, when all went dark. So my poor computer was shaking it's "brains" to fix itself before I could use it again.

Had many candles burning, and we ate McDonald's by romantic candle light.

Now all's back to normal here.

Julie

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    16 years ago

We've had a few inches of snow in southern Milw. cty. Then it changed to sleet, then slush and finally rain. There's only been a very light drizzle on and off for the past few hours. Looks like Sunday we'll have the same mixture.

Kat

• justaguy2
    16 years ago

In Dodge county we got about 6" or so of snow before it turned to freezing rain. The rain just made the snow really heavy.

I was looking forward to this as I just bought a new snow blower. Worked great.

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

In Waushara county we had 6" also not far from dodge county. The new hfgh greenhouse held up great with the snow. Shooooo we were worried. Barb

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

3-6 inches more tommorow yahoo it is gonna be a white christmas....... Barb

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Awesome Member page you have there, Barb!

I'll have to try that in Photobucket some time.

We lost most of our pretty snow, because it mostly turned to rain, then ice. We may get more tomorrow, though not as much as you.

Julie

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

Hi Julie,
    I got the idea from agirlsgirl. She was my very first trade on gw. We have more snow coming tonight. My baby hostas I planted from seed have popped their heads. Kinda neat to think I have hostas growing in the kitchen. I guess some of them wont come true from seed but it will be interesting to see how they come out. One seed was from a big daddy plant and the other was a variegated hosta medium sized. I also had a really good germination rate. The one site I was following said their germination rate was not very high. Julie do you do wintersowing? Barb

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Barb,
    I haven't traded through GW yet, mainly because I work full time. Maybe I'll try that when I retire. I've never grown Hostas from seed, but I do grow daylilies from seed (from my own pollinating). I've never tried winter sowing, since I have lights set up in the basement instead. I bet winter sowing elliminates the need for hardening off (which can be a real pain, if you have many flats of seedlings!)

Yesterday I had the joy of driving through lake-effect snow in Racine, through streets that hadn't been plowed yet, through straight-line wind, trying to gaze through car windows that have iced up 5 minutes after you scrape them - including the outside rear-view mirrors, all the time trying to stay as far as possible away from the other drivers, who no doubt were trying to stay away from me!

Oh, the joys of living in Wisconsin!
    Be careful out there!

Julie

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

Hi Julie,
    my fiance has a house in calendonia Racine county. I am orginally from kenosha county. I can relate to those streets. My kids are down in that area. We come home to visit them. We moved here a couple of years ago. It is different than living there. I do get home sick but stay busy working in the yard and the house. As a matter of fact I am geting home sick talking about it......I really enjoyed it down there. The lake and all.. I am new to ws this year. I met a really nice gw member helping me along taking baby steps. It sounds neat though they take hunks of seedlings and plant them right in the ground. How simple is that. Have a nice weekend. Looks the storm is missing us. Take care..... Homesick Barb

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Barb,

"What a small World"! I am also originally from Kenosha county. (Not born there, but raised there). What part of the county were you from. I lived near Petrifying Springs Park, in Somers township, and was bussed into the city of Kenosha to Jr. High & High school. Before that, I went to a one-room elementary school. What wonderful memories I have of that school - small classes where the 8th graders watched out for us little ones during recesses. I don't think there are any of those schools left in the state, after so many consolodated into bigger, more modern elementary buildings.

If I ever get into winter sowing, I'll ask you for advice.

I see your second favorite forum is California gardening. Did you live there at one time?

Enough of a coffee break here.....I need to shovel the 2" of snow we got last night.

Julie

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

HI Julie,
    I lived in paddock lake and silver lake. It was nice my kids were raised in paddock lake. Great place to raise kids. I would highly reccomend it. We would go down to the lake and fish almost every afternoon after school. Great memories. I was raised a navy brat. Born in San Diego lived there until I was fifteen and moved to alabama Hated the south would not reccomend it to anyone. Small town they did not like outsiders. Thank goodness we moved after one year to illinois Waukegan graduated school there and than moved to my favorite place WI.

Those one room schools are mostly homes now. LOL careful you are giving away your age. LOL just teasing. We are cleaning up after the snow also. It sure is pretty. Last year we had no snow and were running around cutting oak wilt trees with just a sweat shirt on. We have quite a few more trees to cut. What a shame that disease has done. I have a beutiful oak by my garden and just about started crying when this past summer it lost its leaves. Looks like oak wilt. s@@t. Now we have to worry about the ash borer. We usually take wqood down to racine county but we cant do that anymore due to the ash borer. Mom is gonna freeze no wood for her. Well gotta go ill write later. Barb

Sponsored