Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skeip

Overwintering Spinach

skeip
14 years ago

My August Spinach planting was still producing nicely until Thanksgiving. But, then the weather turned and dropped into the 20's. I had heard about overwintering Spinach but have never tried it. I covered the bed with rolls of plastic garden fencing I had left over to provide some air space, and then covered the bed with about 10 inches of shredded leaves. Last week, 17" of snow, so it should be pretty well insulated, Anyone have any experience with this? I'm in Waunakee, Madison area. TYIA.

Comments (6)

• jungseed
    14 years ago

I've never tried it but I hope you let us know what happens.

Ruth

• pondwelr
    14 years ago

i saw this done on the old Victory Garden many years ago.
    I think he used straw bales around it. Spinach is really quite hardy, though I doubt it will last thru the worst of
    our Wisconsin winter. Jan. should tell you if your plants
    will sink or swim. Let us know. Pondy

• wumpdad
    14 years ago

I overwintered spinach purely by un-diligent gardening in 2008. I threw some leftover spinach seed (Bloomsdale) in a raised bed in mid-September 2008 which sprouted and gave me some spinach before the snow arrived. I did not clean up the bed in the fall before the snow arrived and it had snow cover the whole winter, at least 6 inches I would guess, which I believe was key to protecting the plants. To my surprise, the plants were still alive the next spring and began to sprout in late March or early April (even without any warming help from me with row cover, plastic, etc.). Those plants gave me some of the best tasting spinach I have ever had.

Unfortunately I was hard at work rearranging my raised beds this past fall and did not plant any late spinach for overwintering. But, it is certainly something I intend to make a regular part of my future gardening plans.

My climate conditions are pretty close to yours since I am in the Village of Oregon in southern Dane County. So, good luck and let us know how the leaf cover works out.

WD

• debio
    14 years ago

We overwinter spinach in price county every winter. It started when dh let spinach go to seed and then neglected to gather it! It reseeded itself and was up and growing when the snow melted and we were able to get into the garden. Now we throw some seeds out in a section of the garden in late sept. We have spinach every April!

• skeip
    Original Author
    14 years ago

After three days of rain and fog the snow is off the veg. garden and I pulled back the leaf mulch to see beautiful green SPINACH!! Maybe that early and heavy snow was protection enough. I can't wait for the first salad!!

Steve

• wumpdad
    14 years ago

That's good news. You should taste a difference in the early spinach too, a little bit sweeter.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!