Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (15)

• bigcityal
    18 years ago

You didn't say there would be a test. Hey a WI forum cool. I live in Wisconsin

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    18 years ago

I'm really close to Wisconsin. What should we talk about?

• bigcityal
    18 years ago

Linnea,
    Here are some photo's from the past year - including dahlias. Free free to ask or discuss anything.

Here is a link that might be useful: al's 2005 photo's

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    18 years ago

Al, I love the pictures! That 'cool zinnia' is something else. I have a purple smoke bush too and just love it. Thanks for sharing those!

Kat

• bigcityal
    18 years ago

Thanks Kat,
    I get through your old flea market town quite a bit. My smokebush did little for 2 years and then died to the ground last spring - and then grew to 10' this year.
    Al

• periwinklez3b
    18 years ago

Very nice photos Al!

• SandiBluffs
    18 years ago

Hi Linnea56, Where are you in IL?

........and what do you enjoy growing?

Any favorite nurseries\garden centers in your area?

• putzer
    18 years ago

Nice photos, Al. I love the mignon dahlia-it has such a beautiful look to it. The pink dinnerplate is pretty as well-did you get these locally?

• elvis
    18 years ago

OMG, Al! Callas? Yum! I wonder if I could grow them in containers and bring them in like I do cannas? Great pics; thanks for sharing.

Sandibluffs, I'm glad you found this forum--long time no talk to!

Constance.

• sandlady
    18 years ago

Wow Al! That is one amazing sunflower! I grow many sunflowers every year, but never like that!

• sandlady
    18 years ago

Wow Al! That is one amazing sunflower! I grow many sunflowers every year, but never like that!

• bigcityal
    18 years ago

Thanks,
    It was huge - the squirrels didn't eat it like usual, it eventually fell over late in the year. The callas should grow in a pot. I would rate them easier to grow then canna, they get floppy late in the year, you could probably cut them back then though. They have huge white corms.

• elvis
    18 years ago

So Al, I would need a pretty big pot? And I could set it on one of those rolling platforms they sell at Wally World or HD and roll it onto the deck for summer. I do that with my tropicals--course callas ARE tropical for me, LOL.

Constance.

• bigcityal
    18 years ago

Constance,
    Sure - whatever works. They store real easy digging them up. A lot easier than digging canna or even dahlia.
    Al

• elvis
    18 years ago

Really, Al? I don't do dahlias, but I did dig up my cannas and replant them in my greenhouse. They have never bloomed for me (2 years in the garden and bringing the tubers in for storage). Someone on GW said I could grow them as houseplants, so that's the plan. They look wonderful! So if callas are even easier, I'm going for it. Maybe a spring trade for something of mine for some of your callas? I have oriental poppies and 'Mother's Choice' peonies I need to move--

Constance.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!