Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bud_wi

Mitchell Park Conservatory (The Domes)

bud_wi
16 years ago

What is this I hear about The Domes being torn down soon? I can't find anything on a Google search. Is this just a rumor?

Comments (15)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    16 years ago

Haven't heard that one yet. What was your source (they didn't have a picture of a grizzly hit by a truck, did they)?

tj

• mommie_rose
    16 years ago

i sure hope not! I used to love going as a kid and my girls love it too!

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    16 years ago

I haven't heard anything either. I do know they're concerned about the money it'll cost to keep it in shape. I remember they had the amount listed and it was huge. I don't go there often now, but used to when I was a kid. We lived about 7 blocks from them.
    Mommie Rose, do you remember the the lagoon they had? I was sad when they put dirt in it, but they said the cost of having to repair the water pipes and such was just getting to be too much.
    I sure hope this is just a rumor.

Kat

• mommie_rose
    16 years ago

Yes, I do remember the lagoon! It was so pretty! My family moved out of the Milw. area when I was 10, and the next time I went there (when I was 19), it was not there! I was so sad. I always try to donate a few bucks more than the admission...I would be very sad if it got shut down.

• bud_wi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I remember the lagoon. I have pictures of it I took when I was 10y/o.

My "source" is my relatives. So that piece of info would be classified as *rumor*. Where I heard it from was sitting around with the relatives at holiday, they all agreed that they "heard" the Domes were going to be removed due to the cost of upkeep and replaced with smaller educational greenhouses that will serve the park system. I can't believe they would tear them down. I can't find anything about it on a news search. Right now I think my relatives may be "confused" (none of them drink), and it would not be the first time they got confused about something they read somewhere :).

Here is a link that might be useful: Domes Article 2005

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    16 years ago

Thanks for the article. We were there almost 2 1/2 yrs ago. A party was given for my aunt who was turning 90. It was great. I forgot who catered the party, but the food was excellent also. We were seated in the one that has the seasonal displays. After dinner, we all walked thru the different domes. I loved it where the birds were flying around. I never noticed any dirty windows or other things wrong. It was just great to be there.

Kat

• Bob_Zn5
    16 years ago

Milwaukee is not adequately funding the park system so eventually, I wouldn't be surprised to see the domes eliminated. I won't go off on a political rant, but it is disappointing that there is not a greater public outcry over budget decisions that affect quality of life issues. We will be at the domes tonight for the New Years gig they put on. Its an inexpensive & "civil" way to get the evening started.

Happy New Year & a supersize green thumb to all.

• superdavefive
    16 years ago

I was just at the Domes yesterday, but it had been many years since my last trip. I've been looking through the seed catalogs a lot lately. I have to admit a little dose of spring fever from trying to plan next years gardens. I'm quite sure I'm not alone here! I didn't see exactly how they adjust the climate in those Domes. Does anyone here have any insight? Seems like quite a lot of space to heat!

• mommie_rose
    16 years ago

I usually try to make it to the Domes every February now, also due to Spring fever. Superdave, what seed catalogues are your favorites? I also have been scouring them a lot lately!

• superdavefive
    16 years ago

The Park Seed catalog has me drooling! I've also been scouring different smaller online catalogs. What's your favorite?

• mommie_rose
    16 years ago

I also like Park Seeds! I like a lot of catalogs, but I prefer the ones with the most plant info. I must admit, I don't read the catalogs so much for buying the seeds, but more for learning! I'm not sure of my favorite, but I can say my least favorite, as far as the info provided within, is Burpee.

• mike1970
    16 years ago

Ack! I hope not. We lived about a mile from there when I was a kid and I can remember sledding on the awesome sledding hill behind the domes. And my brother had his wedding pictures there.

Mike

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    16 years ago

Mike, we called that hill 'suicide hill'. LOL!! We loved it and used to go there all the time.

Kat

• cranberry15
    16 years ago

The Domes seems to have jumped the shark. I was there a few years ago and it was much yuckier than what I remember as a kid. Funding is no where near what it should be. The architecture is old and NOT energy efficient, so running the place must cost a fortune. Along the same lines, did you know that the Milwaukee County UW Cooperative Extension Master Gardener Program has been threatened with elimination from the county budget for like 4 years running? Every year it gets saved from the brink while we all hold our breath.

• kimcoco
    16 years ago

Suffering from spring fever, I have the itch to go to the Domes. I am looking at spring photos of my yard, and the warmer weather couldn't arrive fast enough for me. I've been complaining all these years that I don't remember snow like we had when I was younger, and now it's here...be careful what you wish for!! :)

We also used to sled down the hill behind the domes in the winter when I was a kid - it is by far the BEST hill to sled down in this area (and a good workout climbing it).

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?