Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mr_mader

Wildlife planting ideas, for Deer & ect.

mr.mader
16 years ago

I have 80 acres that I (Bow) hunt on in Athens, WI. I'm looking for ideas on what to plant, half of the 80 is swamp & the other half is high ground with two clover feilds with a small woods in the middle. I only have 2 oak trees on the property & no pine trees........ I was thinking about planting a few apple trees & tall cover grasses. Anyone out there have any Ideas?

Comments (3)

• lpptz5b
    16 years ago

I to love hunting deer with bow.Due to Parkinson,and with the help of my brothers,I've put in some food plots.That worked fairly good.This year I looked into planting a few hybrid oaks,more apple trees [this year i'll plant crab apples]
    I am familiar with your area,I helped build a fertilizer plant there back in the early 80's
    Do you have sandy/loam - clay? other.
    I planted one of these food plot mix's watered down with red clover.This draw's the deer in june-oct,but I'm still looking for a food source,like late maturing apples-chestnuts-browse such as silky dogwood.
    My thinking is if you provide a variety of foods year round,when the rut comes the deer will frequent the area regardless of food.
    Also pay attention to prevailing winds,possible stand sites with different wind directions.You may know this already.
    Hazelnuts I will also look into,but presently I'm not to familiar with them.
    I've been trying to improve my 80a.for 18 years now,and it is very rewarding. Good luck!

• pondwelr
    16 years ago

mr.mader, I am no hunter, but am a retired lady who has lived most of her life in the country. I notice that deer browse on red cedar, which is really juniper, so that would be a good start for you. It spreads easily too. Near the swamp, you could start many swamp white oak and get a copse going. This is a beautiful fast growing tree that can tolerate wet feet. Swamps usually mean some kind of underground springs, so that is a good draw for all wildlife. Tamaracks (Larch) is another great tree for the edge of the swampland. Away from the swamp, go for your idea of apple trees. Just know that you will have to protect them for at least 6 years. Mulberry, dogwood, (osier) Serviceberry, wild cherry and plum are all cherished by birds and other wildlife. Know that when you invite deer to your property, you will also be inviting all wildlife. The racoons, rabbits, birds, pheasants, even fox and coyote will all find your habitat pleasant.
    More so, as open land gives over to McMansions.

One word of warning. I know several people who have done the same plantings for the same reasons, and ended up shooting the wildlife with a camera instead of a gun. So keep an open mind.You may end up with a new hobby.

You will get help and even free stuff from your' local agricultural county agent. Talk to him/her about windbreaks, wildlife and etc. Sometimes the 4H groups or FFA high school kids will help with mass plantings.

Good luck with your project. Let us readers know how it is coming along, will you?
    Pondy

• lpptz5b
    16 years ago

Yes I agree with pondy.
    If you create wildlife habitat you must also be willing to keep the wildlife populations under control,otherwise these same animals raise hell on neghborhood gardens and pets.
    Check out QDMA [Quality Deer Manegment Association]they promote a balance deer herd, while creating habitat for all wildlife.www.QDMA.com

Sponsored