Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone else grow palms outside in WI?

Posted by wxman81 5b, SE WI (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 29, 08 at 20:20

This past summer I decided to do some zone pushing and I planted five palms in my yard. I planted (2) Washingtonia Robusta, (1) Butia Capitata, (1) Trachycarpus Fortunei, and (1) Cycas Revoluta. I also have (10) Musa Basjoo Bananas. Washingtonia Robusta is hardy to zone 9a, Cycas Revoluta is hardy to zone 8b, Butia Capitata is hardy to zone 8a, and Trachycarpus Fortunei is hardy to zone 7b. Here are pictures of them.

Front yard Washingtonia Robusta:

Photobucket

Front yard Trachycarpus Fortunei:

Photobucket

Front yard Cycas Revoluta:

Photobucket

Backyard Butia Capitata and Washingtonia Robusta with two Musa Basjoo in the middle:

Photobucket

Butia Capitata closeup:

Photobucket

Washingtonia Robusta closeup:

Photobucket

I built mini greenhouses around them for the winter and included (1) 125 watt heat bulb in each enclosure and wrapped the palms in Christmas lights. To build the enclosures as small as possible, I used cable ties to tie up the fronds. All I did to the Musa Basjoo is mulch them. Picture:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here is a picture from Christmas Eve of my front yard Washingtonia Robusta. GREEN AS CAN BE!

Photobucket

I have been down to -12F here in SE WI, but the coldest my palms have seen is a brief dip to 27.1F during the coldest part of that arctic intrusion. They mainly stay between 40F and 50F! Hope you enjoy!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone else grow palms outside in WI?

congrats on a job well done!! Can't wait to see if they make it through to spring. I sure hope so.

o

They're beautiful! I've grown Musa Basjoo for a few years,but I've never gotten one through the winter. Last winter I built a 3' cage (tall and wide) filled with mulch and covered with plastic. Still nothing come spring. It may have been the moisture due to all of the snow, I'm not sure. This year I gave up on overwintering and just dug them up and stored the corms like canna.

I hope yours make it!!

o

I'm very excited to see your results come spring!! I am a parrothead and would LOVE to plant palms in my yard!! Please keep us posted..they are BEAUTIFUL!!

o

I am SO envious of you having that beauty in your yard!!! I too am eager to hear how they're doing! I LOVE palm trees.... it's the one thing I wish I could have in my yard....

o

Have I missed an update? I've been thinking about this post off and on ever since I read it!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here