Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cookie Recipe

Posted by luvtosharedivs 5a WI (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 11, 07 at 20:36

Just thought I'd share this recipe with all of you.
It originally came from a Wisconsin Electric power Co. cookbook I received when I used to work for the Wis. Natural Gas Co. (back in the olden days when there WAS a WI nat. Gas Co. - I'm really showing my age here).
The recipe is probably 40 years old.
I guarantee you will be a hit with these cookies.
Enjoy making them and sharing them and eating them!

Merry Christmas, everybody!

Julie

EASY ROLL SUGAR COOKIES

1 cup butter 3 cups flour
1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon baking powder
2 egg yolks teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla 1/3 cup milk

Cream butter; add sugar gradually. Mix in egg yolks and vanilla; blend in sifted dry ingredients and milk; chill. Roll 1/8 inch thick on well floured canvas; cut with cooky cutters and place on greased cooky sheets. Decorate before baking or frost and decorate when cool. Bake at 350 degrees 8 to 10 minutes. Makes about 5 dozen depending on size.

DECORATING FROSTING

2 egg whites cup light corn syrup
2 cups powdered sugar assortment of food colors

Beat egg whites until they hold a soft peak. Add sugar gradually and beat until sugar is dissolved and frosting stands in peaks. Add syrup and beat one minute. Use food coloring to get desired color. Add a few drops of water if a thinner frosting is desired. Keep well covered when not in use.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cookie Recipe

When I made cutout cookies, I used this recipe, so it is very familiar, and so good.
It was hard keeping the frosting fresh, so we used bowls with plastic covers. My grands are all in late teens, and super health conscious, so I dont do cookies anymore. Sort of miss that fun of frosting with all my little ones.
pondy

o

Must be old. Uncooked eggs as frosting....

Here is a link that might be useful: Raw Eggs and Pasteurization

o

My mom used to make "cherry winks" every Christmas. Again, it was a 50s recipe from one of the utility companies. they were really tasty, kind of a butter cookie with added nuts and dates, then rolled in crushed corn flakes and topped with marischino cherry. moist and chewey and yummy.
I just might search the web and find the recipe. Thanks for a reminder of old-timey stuff Julie. Pondy

o

taitai,

To quote one of the statements in the link you shared:

Raw Egg Whites: Although it is possible for Salmonella to be in both the white and the yolk of the egg, the white does not readily support bacterial growth.

The yolk in the above cookie recipe is added to the cookie dough, and it is baked. The egg white is only in the frosting (uncooked) and plenty of sugar is added. I haven't killed anyone yet, nor has anyone become sick from that recipe. I know it is a very old recipe, but I'm sure if it were unsafe, the general public would have been cautioned not to use it a LONG time ago.

Julie

o

My wife made cherry wink cookies for the first time this year. Used an old Pillsbury cookbook. There are very good.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherry Winks

o

Wow, Tj,

That Cherry Winks recipe sounds great!

I'll copy it and try it sometime soon....Thanks for sharing!

Julie

o

Julie
I'm sure your cookies are wonderful. I'm not trying to spoil anyones Christmas tradition. I just wanted to warn against consuming raw eggs. A LONG time ago, Salmonella was not a problem INSIDE eggs. It has only recently penetrated the shell. I did not want to let someone make these without knowing some of the risks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here