Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seneca_s

What do you guys grow in the shade besides hostas

seneca_s
18 years ago

I have zone issues. I know what grows here but don't know what I can take to WI with me that survives there. Then alot of what I put in the shade here needs sun there...

Comments (17)

• bigcityal
    18 years ago

I can't believe you have a zone 7 there. In my shade I have;
    Ligularia,Holly,Columbine,Pachy,Chocolate Eupatorium,Hydrangea,Kerria,Cranberry Bush,Ferns
    With good soil and management they all do well.
    I know where Oxford is - they should have sandy soil there.
    Al

• wisconsitom
    18 years ago

lesee...Heuchera, Tiarela, Heucherela, Brunnera, Pulmonaria, Astilbe, Galium, Vinca minor, Dicentra, ah.................+oM

• sandlady
    18 years ago

I don't have much shade, but the few areas that I do have, have ferns, Lilly of the Valley, Bleeding Hearts (need just small amounts of sun) and potted impatiens for splashes of color.

• Copperlilac
    18 years ago

My medium-deep shade (under Maple trees)...ferns, bleeding hearts, lily of the valley, Cranesbill Geranium, Jacob's Ladder and Balsam Impatiens.

Partial - medium shade...coneflowers, chrysanthemums, daylilies, iris, ajuga (sp), columbine, sweet woodruff, creeping jenny, goat's beard (I think).

Some things I may sacrafice a few blooms because of the amount of shade but the little touches of color here and there are worth it.

Copper

• megansarah
    18 years ago

I have heuchera, astilbe, ferns, impatiens, begonias and Lily of the Valley in my fully shaded areas.

In my partly shaded areas (considerably more shade than sun) I've had great luck with mums, columbine, and clematis.

• madisonkathy
    18 years ago

Copperlilac, how do you grow ferns under maples? With the maples' shallow roots, mine get so dry they barely survive.

• elvis
    18 years ago

Mostly shade: bishop's weed, ferns, lily-of-the-valley, sweet William, lady's slipper, hen-and-chicks, columbine, dicentra. This is a rock garden along either side of the walk-out basement. On top where the sun hits, it's all daylillies. I love this zero maintenance garden!

• Copperlilac
    18 years ago

MadisonKathy said,"Copperlilac, how do you grow ferns under maples? With the maples' shallow roots, mine get so dry they barely survive."

I did build up the soil a bit under that maple tree...compost, bunny manure and leaves. I think that helped a bit.

The ferns I put in are still small. I don't know what type they are...but they're tough. We'll see how they do in 2006, I suppose.

I did water extra under the tree...that part of the yard is dry to begin with so even the hostas planted there needed the extra moisture.

• toomuchglass
    18 years ago

I'm going to have to take notes. My yard is almost all shade. Algae even grows on the north side of the garage .
    :( We also built a deck - never gave it a thought about creating MORE shade - we now have to wash the algae off the concrete under the deck now. Seems like everything is always damp. (and it's also kinda smelly on certain days ... yuck !)

• elvis
    18 years ago

Toomuchglass--why not create a fern and moss garden? No maintenance, and so pretty.

• toomuchglass
    18 years ago

Sounds great to me !

• elvis
    18 years ago

I've got one--all ferns, rocks, moss, bishop's weed. I don't have to do a thing and it always looks great. I do have a few touchs of color: sweet William, columbine, hostas. It's a rock garden that comprises the 2 slopes leading out from the basement walk out below our front deck facing north. We installed the sloping rock walls to retain the sandy soil that was eroding terribly. As we placed the rocks we made planting pockets and plugged in native ferns we dug from our woods, along with a few spreaders like the bishop's weed and the stuff spread and filled the whole thing in. I wish all my flower beds were this maintenance free, LOL.

Constance.

• Driftless Roots
    18 years ago

Hellebores! They do better in bright than deep shade.

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    18 years ago

Hi Seneca,
    What part of Wisconsin will you be moving to? There are a lot of great ideas listed here already, but beware if you are moving to northern WI. Some of them are not hardy here.
    Catrina

• homeandfriends
    18 years ago

In my deep shade I have tons of ferns, hostas, lily of the valley, lots of tigerlilies, jack-in-the-pulpits, a nice bleeding heart, and I put in colorful impatients that seem to thrive very well. I also have 2 hydrangeas and 2 rhododendrens I planted last year. I've tried japanese ferns and pinks, but they didn't do so well. I put in a holly 3 yrs ago, and it is doing well. I just keep experimenting with different shade tolerant plants to find the ones that like it in my shade garden. Good luck to you.

• flwrpowr
    18 years ago

Hi seneca_

Can you tell us which plants you have that you would like to bring back? If you give us a list we can all let you know if we've had experience growing them here. What zone will you be in? You can many times push the zone by one if you are careful about placement.

• seneca_s
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It'd be zone 4 I believe... I don't have a list together. I'm wintersowing, so anything I can start from seed would be good for me to take. Doing columbines, that seems like a safe bet.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm