Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help! pine beatles?

Posted by bridgetzz none (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 5:00

We just moved to our new house one year ago in North California. Beginning this autumn, I start to find white sand piles, and holes(please see attatched picture) at foot of our pine trees within 3 months, they appear from one tree to all three of them. All I can remember about the changes are, we bought some logs for gardening decoration, and we did a tree trimming. Now, I am most afraid if they are pine beatles, which I hear cannot kill, and if so, what's the best to do, also, if not, what could it be and what's best treatment. Thanks a lot!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help! pine beatles?

I don't think there is anything to do. When we moved here 28 years ago, I kept hearing this funny noise outdoors. That was the sound of the crunching of beatles eating our pine trees.

The good news is that only a few trees have totally died and either fell or had to be cut down. The bad news is that it is easier to cut them down when they are small, as mine kept growing, in spite of the beatles, and thus were very large and more difficult to take out at a later date.

I suppose you could call an arborists to see your options, but I don't think anything will be a cure that you will like. Sorry.

o

You can spray the trees, but you would have to do it every year, and it is expensive. My parents were told all the trees on their land would die in a few years. They sprayed them annually and the lasted 30 years. They decided to stop doing it and in ten years most of the trees were dead.

There are many kinds of pine beetles. Some kill trees, others don't.

o

Thanks for reply!!

Do they make similar holes? What should I spray?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here