Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Curious about Jack in the Pulpit.

Posted by sextus 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 22, 06 at 9:44

I am interested in this plant. Because this plant likes a shaded area, though, I am wondering how it would do in place like Savannah, GA, that gets really hot in the Summer. As well, does this plant expand, or if I plant two outside, is that all I will have every year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Curious about Jack in the Pulpit.

Jack in the Pulpit is native to most of eastern North America, as far south as Florida. Try to find plants from native stock in your area.

It needs a moist, shady site with humus rich neutral soil, ideally in a woodland. If well suited, plants will fruit with small red berries that readily self seed so you may eventually have a small colony. However, it is not an aggressive spreader.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jack in the Pulpit

o

Here in the Atlanta area, I think it IS considered a pretty good spreader. Those that have it find that new babies sprout pretty readily. While not "aggressive", it definitely is not shy, especially in the moist areas (along streambanks) that it seems to prefer.

o

• Posted by arcy mn3/4 (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 8, 06 at 14:50

I have also read it needs oak leaf mold for the seeds to germinate. I have over 100 growing under my oaks. Their seeds sprout, but I plant them, before the squirrels get them. I would not say they spread readily as it takes a seed 3-4 years to bloom.

o

Use the genus name Arisaema to do a search. There are lots of Asian species available but I believe most appreciate temperate climates.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arisaemas

o

Both A. triphyllum and A. dracontium are native to your area. They like organic rich soils and shady, moist conditions. There are a number of Asian species that probably would do well for you too such as A. ringens and A. serratum. A. ringens is not so much a "spreader", but it does tend to form clumps via offsets. These can be separted from the mother plant in the fall when the leaves die down. They will be a bit expensive in America, but they can be sourced at nurseries such as Plant Delights and Asiatica.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here