Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
VA bluebells?

Posted by penskelove (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 3, 07 at 12:49

Hello!

Am looking for propagation info on VA Bluebells (Mertensis virginica).

I would love to purchase/trade some seed, but can't find any (I have just posted on the exchange forum) so I am wondering if it is difficult to germinate and division is the best course??

Thanks!
kris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: VA bluebells?

The roots can be divided in mid-summer, IF you can find them since it dies down in early summer. It self seeds prolifically and the young plants are easily transplanted.

o

Kris, where are you located?

o

I just received some Va BB rhizomes from Vernon Barnes & Son, McMinnville, Tenn. I ordered a ton of plants and received nearly 50% discount, Free shipping and 10 free small bareroot trees.
If interested, go to GWD and click on their name for address, phone & fax #'s. Can also Google and find info.
They have no WS or email, but will send catalog upon request.
Rb

o

I cannot tell what zone you are in, but in zone five our Virginia Bluebells will start coming up in March. I have dug and shipped quite a few starts to people and they have done good. It is easy to ship when they first come up. If you let them get too tall they will not do as well. In the spring I always have many babies to share.
Many years ago I tried seeds and some starts that I ordered but it never worked for me. A neighbor in IL had some and the seeds flew over into our garden and I have them from that time. We now live in MI and they are doing well here. I think there is nothing as beautiful in the spring when they start to bloom with the daffodils and other spring flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here