Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
city apple?

Posted by jsand NY (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 2, 08 at 18:25

I bought a house on Long Island NY which has about an acre of woodland in the back. Most of it is covered with a tree with a fairly smooth bark a yellow gold in color -- some quite large, 8 inch dim. trunks and 30 feet high. As it is winter I am not sure what the foliage looks like. Someone who knows trees told me that they are weed trees called "city apple" trees, but I have not been able find anything about about them under that name. Has anyone heard this name. Is there another name for them? Thanks Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: city apple?

Could it be hedge apple, more commonly known as osage orange around here? (Maclura pomifera)The female trees get large, green aromatic orange shaped fruit in the fall. They have a sticky white fluid in them. The roots have orange bark. The branches have sharp spines and have yellow interiors. The tree was planted as a living fence in the past and did a good job of keeping animals penned. Several grew along the edge of a cemetery near me when I was a child.

Can you find any leaves that came from your trees, maybe a few stuck in the lower branches? Or compare the twigs with a winter tree ID guide.

o

Any twig pix?

BTW, Osage Orange have thorns that are visible in winter. Here's a link to a picture of how the twigs look:

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Osage Orange Picture

o

Fairly smooth yellow bark doesn't really sound like osage. And if there are no thorns, it's something else. But if it turns out that these trees are indeed osage, you may not want all of them on your property, but please don't let yourself think of them as 'just weed trees'! They are highly prized by many woodworkers, and especially traditional bowyers. Someone would be thrilled to take some of them off your hands.

Linda S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here