Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrie630

Pictures - would you consider this

carrie630
16 years ago

woodland gardening? The reason I ask is because I did a search to see some of the pictures that your forum had posted and it seems there were pictures of plantings done on the edges of the woods. I've done that - maybe that's qualifies "woodland gardening" (if you know what I mean). I have to admit, though, at times it is hard to plant in these areas as there are many roots from the trees.

Here are some pictures - you tell me...

{{gwi:361771}}

{{gwi:347578}}

Comments (24)

• vbain
    16 years ago

I think it is a distinction between putting plants into a woodland setting, and putting plants in that would normally grow there.
    I am in the second camp, but not everyone is.

• carrie630
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ah ha, now I get it... so you are referring to a more natural setting - using what normally grows in woods, i.e. ferns, etc. - and not actually putting flowers along or within the edges or pockets of the woods... Okay, now I understand...

What I do is actually plant along and a bit into the woods but not throughout - which is what I would like to start doing.

Thanks - Carrie

• yardmom
    16 years ago

Both make wonderful gardens. Along the woods would probably be classified as shade gardening, in the woods as woodland gardening.

• Lynda Waldrep
    16 years ago

Lovely photos, but for me woodland gardening is IN the woods and probably features more natives...maybe ALL natives, although hellebores do well...and hostas, if the deer don't get them. I plant hostas as my decoy plants for the deer to eat and leave my trilliums alone! Works somewhat.

• cynandjon
    16 years ago

Your garden is lovely!

• carrie630
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the compliment - it's actually a bit more sunnier now, since we cut the tree down at the far left. I am eager, though, to do some "woodland gardening", now that i understand the concept.

I have more woods in the back (that's the front left of my house) and I love the idea of paths and natives, although I haven't seen many natives of real beauty - only a lot of vines... some of which are undesireable. Anyway, this forum has been encouraging. Thanks

Carrie

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

Carrie, do consider that sometimes what you see in your woods are not natives but invasives that have naturalized in there. Be sure to identify things so you can remove the non-native thugs. Chinese privet and Japanese honeysuckle are two of the worst. Because privet (or "hedge" as some folks call it) has been around for so long, a lot of non-gardeners think it is native.

That's not to say that there are not such things as "native thugs". Three of the vines that I have tried to reduce in my woodland are: muscadine, smilax and trumpet creeper. Muscadine and trumpet creeper get in the trees and create a lot of shade ... something I don't need more of. Smilax is thorny and hard to be around. They are natives, but I just don't need so MUCH of them!

• carrie630
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I googled smilax, trumpet creeper and muscadine - none of which are familiar to me.. but I do have some green creeping vines (no berries/no flowers), that wrap around those privets or just about anything (no, it's NOT poison ivy - that I know..). They are very easy to pull and they usually don't come back once they are pulled out (if that's amazing to believe....). Anyway, I hadn't really noticed anything attractive - actually that trumpet vine has a pretty flower - I probably wouldn't mind that!

I do have some type of vining vegetation that reminds me of wandering jew... unless that is what it is....

As you can see, I have to pay much more attention to the woods than I have - if I am going to start Woodland Gardening

Thanks for all your help

Carrie

• garden_junkie_carrie
    16 years ago

Your garden is beautiful and I wish you luck on the interior of the woods.

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

No flowers could just mean lack of sun. A few other bad vines that are aliens (I think only the first and last are evergreen):

- Creeping Euonymus here

- Oriental bittersweet here

- Porcelain berry here

- Wisteria here

- Five leaf Akebia here

- Periwinkle here

• carrie630
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Those links are so helpful - thanks so much

Carrie

• bob64
    16 years ago

The pictures are beautiful. There are some shade tolerant native flowers for woodlands like Bloodroot, Virginia Blue Bells and some others that are quite at home under the trees. Do a little research to find out which ones are best for your particular area.

FYI, Japanese Honeysuckle (very invasive) is either an evergreen vine or close to it. This is probably even more true in NC than where I am in NY. English Ivy is also invasive and evergreen. I don't think Kudzu is evergreen but I can't help mentioning that we now have Kudzu in parts of NY (including in Queens County - part of NYC!). I would imagine you also have to worry about Kudzu in parts of NC. I am trying to reverse a relatively recent Privet invasion. During my reasearch I learned that Privet is a serious invader in many parts of the south. Maybe there is a way to get something positive out of pesty natives. For instance, I know several people (who originally came here from NC) that love to eat "black muscadine" grapes that are imported to here from points south. I wonder if these are the same muscadines? I visited a vinyard in Florida that makes their wine from muscadine grapes because the French grapes have a tough time there.
    I also vote in favor of native plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: NC Native Plant Society

• carrie630
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, bob

I am a former New Yorker, living in NC - so I am happy to learn whatever I can about the "natives" here in NC - I like the privets that grow in the woods - they are evergreen and are actually very dainty. I know we have honeysuckle - I sneeze from that while in the woods but still like it.

Thanks

Carrie

• Lynda Waldrep
    16 years ago

No, no to privet. It forms a barrier that you cannot even walk through! The only positive thing I can say about that plant is that, if you only cut it back rather than kill it, the deer like to chomp on the new leaves. I should post a list of the things I have planted but wish I had not. I never planted privet, but the birds brought it to me anyway. And, in a few years, I have a major problem. BTW, Japanese stilt grass was not on this property when we bought it 21 years ago. Now it is a major problem down near the lake. It is my worst enemy, but I still want to control the privet, honeysuckle, smilax and some of the trumpet vine. I, like you, think it is pretty, but it Is agressive, so you have to control it. Good luck with your planting.

• bob64
    16 years ago

The comment that the Privets are pretty has highlighted the issue of aesthetics versus the environment. I'll admit that, like so many others, I too have some non-native plants that I somehow just can't seem to cut down (but that list is shrinking). However, there are still a lot of great native choices that I think will satisfy both one's eye for beauty and the environment. I happen to agree that Privets are pretty. That is part of the problem since it is their prettiness that got people to start planting them. Heck, the flowers on Kudzu are also pretty. The problem is that privets and other invaders don't just stop at a few pretty plants here and there but take over to the exclusion of everything else. In the short time that I was distracted by other disasters and thinking one or two privets are no big deal, privets made parts of the grounds I am tending impassable and started crowding out and shading out the natives. Burning Bush, which is also beautiful and a common landscape plant, has gotten so far out of control where I garden that it has made a nearly impassable monculture out of some areas and has suppressed tree growth and other desireable features although I am now starting to reclaim some of that lost ground and saving what the Burning Bush did not kill off het. Almost nothing else comes up where the english ivy invaded but where I removed it in one area a beautiful butterly garden was planted by some great ladies and in another area some beautiful native woodland flowers volunteered. I probably caught the privets in time. It will be years before I have the Burning Bush shrubs under control and the beautiful (and native) Trout Lillies regain their lost ground.
    Anyway, enjoy your woods.

• carrie630
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have to admit the reason why I like the privets is because of their location in my woods. They are way in the back of our property, forming and wonderful hedge - If I see more coming into the woods where I don't want them, I will have to take charge and start watching them. For now, they are providing a terrific hedge and have not been intrusive. I appreciate the reminder, though, that they are invasive and will watch for that - Thanks - all of you have been so helpful.

Carrie

• Lynda Waldrep
    16 years ago

Carrie, It is not what YOU will do about those privet, it is what the birds will do. They love the berries and carry them far and wide. Areas away from your property will be affected. And, later, you will be so sorry if you do not get rid of them ASAP. While I was employed, I let things slide...and am facing many problems in my retirement years. The statement about monocultures means just that: nothing else will grow there! In our area privet is one of the worst offenders. Get it out while you only have a small stand! Sorry for my strong stance, but it really an awful plant here in zone 7.

• carrie630
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oh boy - never thought about the birds...no wonder I have so many in the woods!! Okay - a little at a time, a little at a time, etc. etc. (talking to my lower back)...(May have to plant something else in that area someday)

Thanks

Carrie

• bob64
    16 years ago

Privets spread by seed and vegetatively. Like many invasives, the privets have more than one way to spread and reproduce (aint fair, is it?).
    Sounds like you want a hedge or some sort of thicket or barrier and that the privets are currently providing that service. There are native plants that can do the same thing for you but you would have to remove the privets first to give those natives a chance. You probably can't remove all of the privets at once but don't plant new plants where a privet is within a few feet. You can cut the privets down and this will somewhat reduce their seed production. If you paint the privet stump with strong herbicide immediately after cutting the privet will be more likely to die. In some wet areas I have native red osier dogwoods and native hollies volunteering and these make a pretty dense and attractive barrier.

Here is a link that might be useful: management profile for privet

• carrie630
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, bob - everyone is very helpful here

Carrie

• linda_schreiber
    16 years ago

Hi, Carrie

I'm here late. I don't know much about NC native woodland plants, but I noticed you said:

"Anyway, I hadn't really noticed anything attractive - actually that trumpet vine has a pretty flower - I probably wouldn't mind that!"

Oh, please, please, don't think about getting one..... Privet is an easy-to-control pussycat compared to trumpet vine. Just one volunteered plant some years ago, that [fool, me!] I was actually pleased to see! Within two years, I was in the battle of my life. The war still goes on, after seven years! Don't want to bore the list with my tale of woe, but if you find yourself tempted to plant one, drop me a note. I'll be glad to share the many reasons why you really, really, really don't want to do that.....

Beautiful property, Carrie, and I love what you done in the edge areas in the pictures!!

Linda S

• carrie630
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, linda - I actually wasn't thinking of purchasing one - but the picture showed pretty orange flowers, so I thought that would be nice if I had it growing along the woods - I don't and so after your post, I won't! :)

Carrie

• linda_schreiber
    16 years ago

Whew......... Good!! Just wanted to catch you before you go too interested in this monster, or had actually ordered one and then felt obligated to plant the blasted thing :-).

LindaS

• tinylady
    16 years ago

I Love what you did with the edge of the woods. I am also edged with woods. But my ground slopes down, so I will need to raise the ground some to get the effect that you have done. I have a plan now, thanks.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus