Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grandms

Club mosses

grandms
18 years ago

I consider myself exceedingly lucky in that our property contains both lycopodium and T. catesbaei. I dread the day when we have to leave (because of age or infirmity) and a new owner may start "clearing" the wooded area and planting grass!

Comments (3)

• Iris GW
    18 years ago

You could put markers next to the plants (nice "official" markers). Perhaps plant a few shrubs near them so that the woods have more a "planted garden" feel. I think people tend to "clear" a wooded area when it looks "messy" and "wild". Put wood chip paths (wood chips are often free from tree companies that do not want to pay to dispose of them) through the area so that it has an organized feel.

I feel the same way about my place.

You are lucky to have lycopodium and trilliums. I'm sure you have other things like bloodroot as well.

• compost_hugger_nancy
    18 years ago

Oh yes the official looking plant markers may well encourage next owners to hesitate from clearing areas.

I'm beginning a path planted (with hosta etc) at the sides right back to an area where I found wildflowers. Marking them and the individual plants growing in the muck between wooded strip and the bog thats backed by marsh/swamp.

That will also allow you to remember where other things are.

• terrestrial_man
    18 years ago

There is another answer. Control the purchasing of your home. Target the market. What I think you need is someone who understands your feelings and will act on their behalf when the day comes that you are unable to. If you have offspring then perhaps one of them or if not then I would check it out with someone that you can arrange to be your legal representative and handle these affairs when you cannot. Are there any colleges with botany departments in your area? That is a potential market. Whatever you do take
    control of the situation. Also consider trying to extend your life by countering the effects of aging. With current efforts to isolate genetic factors which may contribute to an extended life or a higher quality of an older age there are still holistic practices that you can consider. I for one am using tumeric to prop up my brain against the effects of alzheimers disease (which took my mom). Also a religious regime of vitamin/mineral supplementation should be the rule for seniors since most seniors, unless (and maybe even though) they may end up in a care facility, simply do not eat properly. I know that I do not but time has a way of just whipping by and before you know it, breakfast missed becomes lunch missed and next thing it almost din-din time and all you seem interested in are Fritos! I am too old and the wrong sex to be pregnant!
    So think about this and do not let someone else make your
    choices for you. Good luck.

Sponsored