Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhavenrdgarden

Getting rid of barberry?!?

greenhavenrdgarden
12 years ago

Hi, I live in a house that is surrounded by woods on 3 sides. I am the last house on the block before a large area of woodlands. It has been a warm winter here in CT so my husband and I have been clearing out a small section of the woods on our property to make a woodland garden. The woods are filled with barberry. It has been such a headache. The thorns are killing me. I am determined to remove it and replace it with native plants. We have cut the barberry down to the ground and dug out roots when possible but some of those roots are really hard to get out. I know that if they arent removed they will grow back when the weather warms. What's the best way to remove this?

Also, we have a lot of deer around here. If I start putting natives back but all the the rest of the woods in my neighborhood are filled with barberry and very little natives, am I just inviting the deer over for dinner? I am stunned by how little grows in these woods besides barberry and posion ivy. Its sad. Regardless, I am trying to restore my section. The ticks alone have been awful and I have read that barberry attracts ticks so I am on a mission!! Thanks for any help.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living