Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery/hybrid plant.

Posted by spotter1 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 12, 06 at 22:48

Ok behind my house in the woods there is a half tree half vine plant.

Around the base it is dark orange it has peeling bark like a london plane tree the bark also looks the same almost.Has leaves like almost exact to a black locust tree.Has long thorns.In the winter the leaves on the ground are yellow.Now I have descibed this tree to many people they say it could be a cross.Can anyone help identify it?

london plane tree bark.-http://www.acornfarms.com/images/PlatanusBloodgoodTrunk.jpg

Black locust leaves.-http://www.dof.virginia.gov/mgt/trees/images/locust-black-leaf.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery/hybrid plant.

I am not sure what your plant is, but I wouldn't assume it is a cross between a tree and a vine. Many woody vines grow main stems that are tree-like when they mature. Some, like trumpet creeper and poison ivy, can be get 6 inches or more thick and very sturdy.

Trumpet Creeper might be a possibility for your mystery vine except that it doesn't have thorns. Another possibility is that you are looking at a honey Locust with a vine growing on it. Honey Locust has large thorns, locust-like leaves, and bark that is omething like Sycamore bark, but it is not a vine.

o
RE: Mystery/hybrid plant.

It is helpful, when wishing to have a plant identified, to know what part of the country you live in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here