Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cstaas

help with IDs?

cstaas
19 years ago

Long story short; I have a business property that I'm leasing to buy. It's only 1/4 developed, and borders a small wetland area (and steeply wooded hills on two sides. Between bld. and wooded area is open field/meadow space.

Last year I didn't do anything except remove some poison ivy. Much to my neighbor's dismay I let it grow to identify what was growing.

I would LIKE to make the space into naturalized areas with walking trails that preserves as much of the wildflowers and wildlife as possible.

I've photographed some of the plants that need identifying, I need to identify and make decisions about what to keep, what to move, what to get rid of. Some of these I think I've ID'd and some are invasive (the first one?). Would you care to view the album so far and help 1) identify, and 2) give an opinion as to preserving the plant?

Thanks in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: photo album plants

Comments (16)

• jctl
    19 years ago

Hi CStaas,
    I think you're right about plant #1 - don't remember the name but it looks like a common invasive (& poisonous) vine. If it's the same thing I had it's quite proliferous but can be removed by consistantly pulling it up, may take a few seasons however.

It looks like plant #4 might be Forget-me-not.

• viburnumvalley
    19 years ago

Plant 5 is one I call velcro plant, though is more properly known as bedstraw. Galium, I think.

Plant 6a/6b is one of the Elaeagnus with the shiny scales on the stems and leaves. They are all pests, and the red fruits get the birds to distribute the seeds everywhere. Please destroy it.

The rest I admire but can't positively ID.

• Iris GW
    19 years ago

Number 8 looks like Blue Eyed Grass (Sisyrinchium species).

• cstaas
    Original Author
    19 years ago

FYI- I found another file of photos, so there are more added to the album now! Thanks for the help so far.. much appreciated.

Viburnum.. is the Elaeagnus one of the olive-type shrubs? I am having a hard time figuring out what kind. Are they all bad? A shame.. it's so pretty and silvery.. but I guess that's why people let them in, huh?

• brenda_near_eno
    19 years ago

9 is Ladies Tresses. Native monocot, orchid. Highly desirable.

• brenda_near_eno
    19 years ago

19 bugloss
    16 jewelweed, desireable wildflower, threatened in some states
    12 aster
    20 persicaria
    I don't think 6 is eleaganus. Might be a leucothe or doghobble

• brenda_near_eno
    19 years ago

10 is Hypericum adpressum, desireable native wetland wildflower

• viburnumvalley
    19 years ago

Alright, CStaas, you've sucked me in again.

The only native Elaeagnus is E. commutata, which I don't think is what you've got there, nor is it particularly native to the east coast. Unless Brenda knows another thorny woody plant with silvery structural scales that gets the red fruit, that's Elaeagnus. Probably E. umbellata or E. angustifolia, both of which are not good additions to natural areas. Probably a hundred other native shrubs that provide more wildlife benefit that you'd rather have.

I also think Brenda meant #18 for lady's tresses (Spiranthes), which is a great little plant.

Others I think I know include:

13 goldenrod (Solidago)
    16 jewelweed (Impatiens)
    19 purple prairie clover?
    21 Bidens (one of the kind that has the sticktight seeds)

• lycopus
    19 years ago

#1 Cynanchum nigrum or Black Swallowwort
    #7 looks like a Penstemon, perhaps Penstemon digitalis
    #9 thinking yellow sweet clover but the flowers seem quite large
    #10 reminds me of Oenothera biennis
    #12 might be Aster pilosus
    #14 Verbena hastata
    #15 Lycopus uniflorus
    #18 Spiranthes cernua
    #21 Bidens frondosa

• cstaas
    Original Author
    19 years ago

OK.. lots of your suggestions have been confirmed! I updated the photos with names that have been verified.

I do think that #6 is a Elaeagnus, but trying to narrow down what kind is difficult. The berry pattern doesn't match the few pictures I've been able to find so far, but it definately has the "scales". Hmm.. it should be flowering soon (which I didn't notice last year). So I'll keep a close eye out if I don't have a definate answer before then.

Wow.. #13 is a solidago, and #12 is an aster, but I had NO idea there were so many types of each! There are tons of other asters, in a variety of shapes and colors, on the property that I don't have pics. of yet.

Not sure about #10... it DID remind me of Oenothera when I first saw it.. I'm gonna look through some more photos.

So far:
    1. black swallowwort (invasive)
    5. Bedstraw; gallium
    7. Penstemon digitalis
    8. Stout blue-eyed grass

1. Boneset
    2. (aster)
    3. (solidago)
    4. Swamp vervain; verbena hastata
    5. Northern bugleweed; lycopus uniflora
    6. Jewelweed or Spotted Touch-me-nots; Impatiens capensis
    7. Nodding lady's tresses; spiranthes cernua
    8. Nodding smartweed; polygonum
    9. Devil's beggartick; Bidens frondosa
  • ahughes798
    19 years ago

Ok...here's what I think:

9. Lantana? If it's lantana, you may not want it, depending.

1. Primrose of some sort..Oenthra something or other
    2. Calico Aster
    3. Goldenrod of some sort, maybe showy? Solidago something or other
    4. The blooms on this plant look like chicory. Is there a yellow form?
    5. A native mint of some sort.
  • kwoods
    19 years ago

#4 Myosotis salvatica
    Eurasian I think but naturalized, biennial.

#10 Oenothera biennis

• walliezim
    19 years ago

2 could be Veronica officinalis - Common Speedwell

3 is Stellaria graminea - Lesser Stitchwort
    (weed from Europe)

4 is Myosotis scorpioides (Myosotis palustris)

6 Elaeagnus sp. - there are 45 species plus hybrids; please just get ride of it!

7 definately Penstemon maybe hirsutus (instead of digitalis)

9 is Trifolium aureum (Trifolium agrarium)- Hop Clover

10 is Oenothera biennis - Common Sundrop

17 is Hieracium sp. - Hawkweed (DYC's --damn yellow composites are hard to tax out!)

19 is Prunella vulgaris - common selfheal (weed from Europe)

Hope this helps! Wallie

• shadowgarden
    19 years ago

here are my thoughts
    3 mouse ear chickweed, 4 forget me not, 6 possibly honeysuckle, 7 beardtongue, 9 definitely clover, could be hop clover, or black _____ (I forget the second part clover) 12 aster, 13, goldenrod, 17 could be hawkweed 19 healall (I pretty sure on this one)

• cstaas
    Original Author
    19 years ago

You guys are great! Lots of fun following all the leads and checking out websites, etc. for verification. I "think" we've got all of these, as close as we can for now without more photos, etc.

I'll post another album in the spring when I find more plants. I know there are a few, like meadow beauty, that I didn't get to photograph last year.

• susanargus
    19 years ago

I don't know much about plant IDing yet, but I thought you might want to check out Lindera benzoin before assuming you had an Elaeagnus. I didn't realize the spicebush leaves could get so narrow. The picture you have posted shows berries that seem to have that telltale Autumn Olive transparent look, but I wasn't sure whether it was a trick of the light. (Your plant looks Autumn Olive to me, but wouldn't it be a shame if it wasn't and you got rid of it!) I assume you'll know quickly the first time it blooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Narrow Spicebush Leaves

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider