Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantaholic_gw

the first trilliums are blooming

plantaholic
19 years ago

i love the trilliums in my woodland garden. the foliage, flowers, and in some... fragrance is wonderful. the trillium gracile, maculatums, decipiens, and underwoodiis are up and doing their thing....while others arent even up.

Comments (10)

• ahughes798
    19 years ago

I'm envious...the ground is still frozen solid here!

• Roland_ON
    19 years ago

love them too, They are Ontarios flower and grow wild in the woods. Making them a must have for any ontario garden.

• david_5311
    19 years ago

I too am very envious. We won't have any trilliums at all for at least 6-7 weeks (T. nivale, which I am lucky to have, usually blooms in April here), and of course the main trillium display is early to mid May. 10 inches of da** snow on the ground here! UGH.

• NWlulu
    19 years ago

I bought a package of trilliums roots at Walmart last fall and planted them in a pot on the deck. Hey, there coming up!! I know they love moist woodlands but do you have any advice other than that?

• jeanbhall
    19 years ago

You're so lucky. It's snowing here outside Boston!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    19 years ago

They are almost open here too, the flowers look like they need less than a week to expand....I very, very carefully removed a large native sword fern that was taking up too much space next to an old clump of trillium this afternoon; successfully - none damaged!

• ahughes798
    19 years ago

Stop it! All of you! Got a surprise mini-blizzard last night. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. April

• woodsworm
    19 years ago

They're blooming here too, (NC Piedmont) for past 3 days. The leaves are still small, but everybody has a bloom. We're expecting cold and maybe snow, but these little buddies are hugging the ground, and I think they'll be OK.

• lsmcw
    19 years ago

Yes, Trilliums are up, toothwort is blooming, may apples are peeking up, green and gold is blooming, shooting star has buds, red buckeyes have buds, and LOTS of green foliage coming up. That's why I live in the South! Linda

• Poochella
    19 years ago

My favorite spring plant- the trillium. I had to dig some up for a swap two weeks ago and was wondering where they were. In our dry mild winter, I had expected an earlier showing.

Well, the little buggers were only 1/2 inch below the leaf mulch covering poking forth as usual to greet the Spring. I watered them (bone dry) and here a week or so later they have exploded from the ground with several blooming.

Mor, do you know the name of our common trillium with white blooms that fade to lavender as the bloom ages? I love to hunt for them in our woods and consider it a "win" to spot a new patch or single plant. I imagine the local deer feel the same way.

Sponsored