Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taurean_gw

Taking Inventory

taurean
15 years ago

So it is almost March! All the dirty monstrous snow piles full of trash are starting to dwindle down to little mounds. Little by little things are getting cleaned up around my neighborhood and snow is less frequent. Yesterday we got rain. I cannot wait for spring :D.

My dad and I (The only gardeners in the family) are really getting antsy! Haha. We both are having dreams if spring and planting season (Really. We do. Its ridiculously entertaining talking to my father about our plant dreams). So to keep my sanity over school vacation, I took inventory of every plant in my woodland garden. Give or take a few species that may or may not have survived last springs brutal rampage. From my dim-witted brother who thinks he can play football in my garden.

Anyway. Here is a list of every plant I got in my garden. Once again give or take a few species that may or may not have survived. And I tend to have a few surprises. Last year I got a nice drift of trout lilies.

Trees

Balsam Fir--------------------------------Abies Balsamea

Japanese Maple--------------------------------Acer Palmatum

Red Maple---------------------------------------Acer rubrum

White Dogwood---------------------------------Cornus Florida

Red Mulberry----------------------------------Morus rubra

Choke Cherry-------------------------------Prunus Virginiana

Northern Red Oak------------------------------Quercus rubra

Sassafras----------------------------------Sassafras Albidum

Shrubs

Mountain Laurel----------------------------Kalmia Latifolia

Pink Azalea--------------------Rhododendron Periclymenoides

Maple-Leaf Viburnum-------------------Viburnum Acerfolium

Perennials

Monkshood----------------------------------Aconitum Napellus

Anemone----------------------------------Anemone Cinquefolia

Jack-In-The-Pulpit---------------------Arisaema Triphyllum

Wild Ginger--------------------------------Asarum Canadensis

Red Columbine--------------------------Aquilegia Canadsense

Squirrel Corn---------------------------Dicentra Canadensis

Bleeding Heart--------------------------Dicentra Spectabilis

Trout Lily------------------------Erythronium Americanum

Coral Bells------------------------------Heuchera Mierantha

Woodland Sunflower-------------------Helianthus Decapetalus

Bluets-----------------------------------Houstania Caerulea

Canada Lily--------------------------------Lilium Canadensis

Turk's Cap Lily-----------------------Lilium Philedelphieum

Creeping Jenny---------------------Lysimachia Nummularia

Canada Mayflower------------------Maianthemum Canadensis

False Solomon's SealÂ-----------------Maianthemum Racemusum

Indian Cucumber--------------------------Medeola Virginiana

Patridge Berry-------------------------Mitchella Repens

Mayapple-------------------------------Podophyllum Peltatum

Jacob's Ladder-----------------------Polemonium Caeruleum

Bloodroot-----------------------------Sanguinaria Canadensis

Red Trillium-------------------------------Trillium Erectum

Grand Trillium-------------------------Trillium Grandiflorum

Bloody Butcher Trillium------------------Trillium Recurvatum

Bellwort---------------------------------Uvularia Perfoliata

Sessile Bellwort------------------------Uvularia Sessilfolia

False Hellebore-----------------------------Veratrum Viride

Mixed Violets----------------------------------------Violas

Annuals

Jewelweed-------------------------------Impatients Capensis

Ferns

Ostrich Fern-----------------------Matteuccia Struthiopteris

Interrupted Fern------------------------Osmunda Claytomiana

Ground Pine------------------------------Lycopodium Obscurum

Christmas Fern-------------------Polystichum acrostichoides

Swamp Horsetail-------------------------Equisetum Fluviatile

Lady Fern-----------------------------Athyrium filix-femina

Vines

Wild Clematis---------------------------Clematis Occidatalis

Virginia Creeper----------------Parthenocissus quinquefolia

Comments (9)

• hoyess
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

what a great list! I have a list and map of all the trees and shrubs in my yard updated as we have put the landscaping in over the past year or so. I'm spending the winter working on adding native perennials into the woodland and other areas as groundcover so your perennial list is very interesting to me and I'll now cross-reference it to my on-going list of spring purcahses! Thanks for posting.

I'm not sure if you have a picture plan of where all these are but if not I do mine in excel. It's real easy.

• taurean
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I tried multiple times to make a good garden map but alas I cannot seem to get it right. How did you make your maps? I'd really like to keep track of all my plants. I forgot where I have planted a number of things! Oy.

You have an awesome garden. Went through most of the site and seriously jealous. I live on a 5th of an acre lot in the suburbs. My garden is tucked away in a corner underneath the dogwoods and oak. But this year I will be expanding into my dad's garden he has given up on. He found out he couldn't grow Hostas under pines. Which means I'm gonna be collecting seeds and diving my mayapples. Again.

• maifleur01
    15 years ago

Nice site. I started with graft paper the extra long size. Starting at one end or any starting point estimate/measure where your large features are. I ended up using numbers with a corresponding written list of what the numbers were for. Then as more plants came up I added to the listings. At the time my computer was not stable and I lost my first effort. It is always nice, in my mind, to have a backup, paper. There are several nice programs out there but no time.

As far as the hostas I visited one of the hosta breeders in Minnesota last year and many of his plants were under tall pines.

• maifleur01
    15 years ago

The hosta breeder's name is Hans Hansen.

• taurean
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yay!

My garden is sprouting with new things every day. My bloodroot multiplied quite drastically since last year. Started out with about 4 in one patch, and 2 in the other. Now I have about 8 in the bigger patch and 6 in the smaller. My trillium grandiflorums popped up over night. I was worried about them not coming up this year because of the company I got it from were not all that promising. But out of the 10 I order about half of them have come up so far. Viburnums ready to burst. False hellebore sprouting along with the poppy. My garden is pretty full. Yet I have some new plants to put in.

My white wood aster, tennesee ostrich fern, cinnamon fern, maidenhair fern, leatherwood fern, celandine poppy, and more. Trying to aim for shrubs for now on. Depends how well I control myself at the native plant sale next month actually haha. And then. no more. no no no no no no no more. Hopefully.

• ontnative
    15 years ago

Time to join your native plant or horticultural society, so you can donate or trade plants with them. I always pot up my extras for the plant sales, but then bring home ones that I don't have already, so I still have TOO MANY! That's the fun of gardening! Enjoy your hobby.

• maifleur01
    15 years ago

Watch your newspapers for plant sales or swaps. Sometimes you can pick up something you have wanted. But the most fun is seeing what each person at the swap values. Please hide your smiles and seem happy when you realize that someone else just traded a goodie for your worst weed.

• taurean
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh Lordy.

Ok so I must have disturbed some sort of seedbank when I took the back corner of our lot and make it into a shade garden. It started with a large tarp over the unused area (my garden), took it off and removed all the leaves (stupid of me. I was 14 give me a break) and tried to plant Home Depot plants. Did not work. Ended with weeds. Now its lush (almost)

Cause right now I have bellworts popping up EVERYWHERE. Bloodroots and some sort of lillies, Solomon's Seal, American Ginseng, trilliums I know I didn't plant and more. Plants I know I planted last year, but that in that quantity or in those places. I have squirrel corn in the tiniest corners and trout lilies swepping the unused corner that was covered with tarp before we moved here 3 years ago. Monstrous Jack-In-The-Pulpits. And a few grasses of some sort.

• taurean
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pictures!!!!

And even MORE plants I stuffed in here. True Solomon's Seal. Mystery plant. Got to stop doing that. Woodland Phlox. MASSIVE cinnamon fern. I mean it was huge. Is it weird that a 17 year old guy is really excited about a fern? Yes. Do I care? No. Haha The ones at the park were even bigger. Thicker than my thigh and 3 feet long bases and the ferns usually get around 6ft in that area. Anyway I got a few pictures for now and there will be more.

Mystery Plant.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!