Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wacky_jakki

Epimedium

Wacky_Jakki
20 years ago

I'd like to plant some epimedium in my woodland area this spring.

Is it better to start these from nursery grown stock or can they be started from seed?

If they can be started from seed, does anyone know where I can purchase seed? And do you have any hints on starting them successfully?

Thanks, Wacky

Comments (9)

• razorback33
    20 years ago

Haven't found a source for seed, propagation is usually by rhizome division. The Guru of Epimediums is Darrell Probst, who has a marvelous garden full of Epimediums. His link is below.
    Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: The Epimedium Page

• Greenmanplants
    20 years ago

Much easier from bought stock. What moisture conditions do you have, the European(Mediterranean and the Caucasus) will take summer drought, the Japanese and Chinese need much more moisture. Have you got access to a good nursery like Heronswood? Look for plants with Og numbers if you want something new and you have summer moisture(and good drainage).

Once you have a few plants, you can watch for seed, not available commercially, it tends to drop off the plant while still green or yellow so you need to be diligent to collect it. Plant as soon as harvested, and cold frame over winter, you should see germination in Spring. You may get hybrids as in the wild the populations are quite separate whereas in the garden even the European/Asian will readily cross, (this is how we got the Ghent Hybrids back in the 1850s, x rubrum) others have variously been deliberately or accidentally created, x warleyense, x cantabrigiense. X omeiense seems about the only natural hybrid because e. acuminatum and E. fangii both grow on the same mountain, (Emei Shan, sacred mountain or Mount Omei). No doubt the hybridisers will get to work on the dozen or so recent chinese introductions.

Our guru over here is Robin White at Blackthorn nursery, he lists over 50 in his catalog and has many more, some absolutely stunning. Doesn't do mail order though, sorry, you'll have to visit!!

Cheers Greenmanplants

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    20 years ago

I agree with John - much better to do from purchased stock rather than seed. There are a number of good mail order sources - Heronswood as mentioned, Naylor Creek, Lazy S Farms, Plant Delights - all online. Check out Darrell Probst's website for other source recommendations.

Here is a link that might be useful: Darrell Probst

• giboosi_alttara
    20 years ago

I love Naylor Creek! Plant Delights has gotten way too pricey for what they send out.

• jgwoodard
    19 years ago

The best source in the US is Darrell Probst himself. Many nurseries get their stock from him anyway. Garden Vision is also cheaper for the same plants. Great selection, and the catalog is a useful resource. Go to the Epimedium page and look for the email link and request a catalog.

• bogturtle
    19 years ago

anyone that has read my postings know I am a fan of epimediums. They are beautiful, tend to keep weeds out and are fairly indestructible, one established. I found them a little expensive compared to other perennials. I was unfamiliar with the sources mentioned, so perhaps I paid more than I had too. I always string trim the fairly big areas I have, because mine look really bad about this time of year and the old tattered brown leaves on some hide the flowers that come very early.

• yardrat
    19 years ago

bogturtle

would now be a good time for me to cut off the tops of my epimedium- before the flowers come? Thanks

yardrat

• bogturtle
    19 years ago

I am going to do this anytime the weather is decent, but I have, I think, until almost the end of March before the flower stems even become noticeable.

• casey1gw
    19 years ago

If you want an easy but not rare epimedium, you can order epimedium rubrum for $3.50 each at Green Mountain Transplants. You get a small but well rooted plant that has done well in my garden

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County