Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I feed the rabbits?

Posted by butterfly4u 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 15, 10 at 15:31

The rabbits come out of the woods (most of my property is wild woods) in the winter and they ate my broom and my daylillies.
They come right up to the house.
THey are looking for something to eat.
Should I put rabbit food back in the woods during the winter so they aren't as hungry?
Or should I just chalk it up to having woods.
What would you do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I feed the rabbits?

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 16, 10 at 22:08

Feeding the rabbits is counterproductive. It will lead to more suffering than good. Rabbit populations are driven mostly by available food. If you feed them, they'll produce more offspring, which require more food, and will grow more and more dependent upon your food supply. It's much better for the rabbits not to feed them.

It also occurs to me that you may be one of the very few gardeners that like rabbits being around to eat their plants. I see lots of posts on how to kill rabbits but few on whether or not to feed them. I can picture one of the people considering how to kill them being one of your neighbors. (-;

o
RE: Should I feed the rabbits?

I doubt if they are hungry since most of your property is wooded. They just like the landscaped areas better...less work for them.

I agree that you wouldn't be doing them any favors by feeding them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here