Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Creeping Hydrangea on Oak trees

Posted by birdsong72 7/Northshore NJ (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 17:01

A few years back I planted a creeping hydrangea near one of my oaks (in this case a healthy 80'er). A dear friend of mine, who knows a lot about these things (recently 'missed' in getting his certified tree expert designation) and who is a L.A. asked me what is more important? - the flowering (it has now creeped nearly 30' up the trunk with the caliper of the main hydrangea runner being 2" circumference) or the potential accelerated sickness or death to the tree. I know that I would never have ivy climbing up that oak, but thought that hydrangea wouldn't be a problem.

He says any plant like climbing like that will attract bugs which can eventually attack and weaken the oak - I recall this planting being very popular in Japan (though I don't recall the type of tree that it would run up).

Comments please: Will I eventually lose the oak if I allow the hydrangea to creep and prosper? Or is there no appreciable harm to the oak that will occur?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Creeping Hydrangea on Oak trees

I have a climbing hydrangea on a tree, and yes, the tree died...a sweet gum. I don't think there is a connection between the vine and the death of the tree, but you never know.

We haven't cut the tree down yet...our new winter project.

o

I have had a schizophragma moonlight climbing on a Liriodendron for well over 20 years with NO sign of a problem to the tree. It is gorgeous when in bloom and very fragrant.

o

The comment that "any plant climbing like that will attract bugs" is completely bogus. On the other hand, if the hydrangea is heavily branched and very dense around the trunk, the mass may retain moisture on the bark, and cause problems, depending on your environment. The 'constantly damp bark' is the thing that can start to rot the bark, and attract bugs, molds, and other problems.Check several places under the hydrangea, and see if the bark looks normal. If the hydrangea is loose enough around the trunk to allow lots of air flow, then don't worry about it. It won't be a problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here