Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wooded planting

Posted by calhoungardens none (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 21:58

What will grow in a wooded area with some sunlight? I have a few acres filled with nice tall trees and would like to grow wild leeks, asparagus or other plants that might grow here wild. Any ideas?

1921.us

Here is a link that might be useful: 1921 organic gardening and living

This post was edited by calhoungardens on Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 22:00

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wooded planting

Where do you live? What are the trees that predominate your woodland patch? How many trees and what is the approximate area? Finally, what part of the day does this patch receive the most sunlight?

o

Pawpaw, Hazelnut, American plum, American Ginseng,and Ginger are just a few of many natives edibles that can be grown in the understory of a forest. I would really check out Oikos Tree Crops if your interested in that sort of thing.

o

Greenthumb, you make an assumption that the 'tall trees' the OP is alluding to, will allow for certain understory trees to grow, let alone thrive. What if the 'tall trees' are Black Walnut? Sweetgum? Silver Maple? Poplars?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here