Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peaches20

Jack in the Pulpit Question

peaches20
16 years ago

Hi,

I've received some jack in the pulpit seeds in trade and started them in a mini greenhouse on a heat mat in breakfast nook. When I received the seeds, I put the in the refrigerator and then planted them directly into potting mix. Breakfast nook isn't the warmest room in house but thought it would be okay. Its been over three weeks and still no signs of growth.

Did I do anything wrong? I really like this plant and its my first time starting it from seed. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Peaches

Comments (7)

• razorback33
    16 years ago

Arisaema seed need about 3 months of cold stratification, below 40°F. and then warm temperature, to germinate.
    Easiest method to start them is; plant seed in a pot of moist soil, enclose in a sealed plastic bag and place in the refrigerator. After 3 months, remove from refrigerator and remove the plastic bag. Check for moisture content of soil and water if necessary. Place pot in a warm location, 68°F+/- and they should begin to germinate.
    Don't become discouraged if all of the seed do not germinate at the same time. I have had fresh seed that required two or three periods of cold/warm stratification before germination.
    Fall sown seed can be left outdoors in colder climates and should begin to germinate in the spring. Protect from rodents and birds with a screen. of course!
    Hope this helps. :Rb

• Lynda Waldrep
    16 years ago

They respond well to the winter sowing method, too. (Check out that forum, if you don't already know it.)I am all for putting things outside rather than in the frig, although it would be great to buy an old frig to use just for plants! Most of the native wildflowers I try seem to need stratification, and many need two seasons of it, i.e., they take two years to grow enough to be able to pot up or plant outside. This past Oct. I put Jack seeds in a pot outside, and they are already sprouting and don't seem to mind the extreme cold we have had this winter.

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

Did you remove the red part before planting? Or perhaps the person gave them to you already removed it? That is a germination inhibitor.

• Lynda Waldrep
    16 years ago

Did not remove anything. So strange because without cleaning they should take two years. In Oct. right before leaving town for a month, I found the (forgotten) Jack seeds and just hurridly pushed them down into a pot of soil. When I returned, I saw one sprout. Now I have about 20 coming up! It is so amazing. Then,after Christmas as I was getting ready to winter sow, I found another stalk of Jack seeds. I am trying them the same way and will let you know. I still think it is fantastic to see these seedlings so soon! Who would have thought it?? (Next year I am really going to have to be more organized in my seed collection...and not travel in the fall.)

• peaches20
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the help. I've gone ahead and taken them out of my indoor tray and put the in a jug and placed outside.

Thanks again,

Peaches

• iamzinnia
    16 years ago

Jack in the pulpit from seeds? I never knew. I just thought they came from bulbs. I have plenty of them growing wild in my woods. I have had people asked for some, but didn't want to dig up the bulbs. Now I know they can be grown from seed. Thanks GINGER

• arcy_gw
    16 years ago

I believe they need oak mold to germinate. All I know is I sow the red seed heads as is every Fall ( before the critters eat them) and mine are multiplying all over the place!!

Sponsored