Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fallen trees for path?

Posted by llbean z5 MI (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 12, 07 at 11:42

HI. I am getting ready to take back some shade area in my yard and they are many fallen trees that I could either chip and use for the path or use them to make my path like a border. Has anyone ever used fallen trees to make their path and if so do you have any pics to share? I am just wondering how long they will last? I have enought fallen trees to chip some and use some to actually make the pathway. I think that I will have to cut them though because I am making a semi-circle path and I am just wondering if it will look funny making a path with cut fell trees..
Help and any advice is appreciated
Laura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fallen trees for path?

I started a woodland path last year and use fallen branches to edge the path (3 or 4 inches) and everything else gets mulched and spread on the pathway. My paths are curved as well. The mulch is very light in color and takes a while to darken (1/2 year?) I really don't know yet how long it will last.

o

I think it will look o.k.
I have used fallen trees, branches, logs, cut trunk sections and anything else that is handy to line paths and it all looked fine. I have "paved" paths with woodchips many times and that worked well. Fallen trees will probably last as your path edges for at least a few years. A lot of factors go into how fast they rot including site conditions and the kind of tree but bigger trees tend to take longer to fully decay just because there is more stuff to break down.

o

I got the idea to line my woodland garden beds with logs from the wild area at the Chicago Botanic Garden. They used logs between 6" and 12" diameter. For curved sections, the logs can be cut and angled. I have done this for 12 years, and have had to replace the logs once in that time. I like the look of a woodchip path lined with logs/tree trunks. I wish I could show you a pic of my garden but I just can't seem to get the hang of it on this site.

o

I do not like the use of branches or trunks to line paths. I like my woods to look like a woods and lined paths do not cut it for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here