Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doxiedr

Mowing Woodland Trails

mbuckmaster
16 years ago

So I'm laying out paths and clearing honeysuckle and rosa multiflora in my 1/2 acre of woodland here in north central NC. I've at least hacked it back enough to walk around, and started laying out some fallen trees for paths (still leaving plenty of brush for birds and other creatures). My dad recommends mowing along the paths to cut down some of the clumpy grass and shred the leaves more. Then roundup when everything greens up again. Does this sound like a plan, or something inadvisable?

Thanks for the help!!

Comments (7)

• bob64
    16 years ago

I don't see any need to shred the leaves. Mowing the grass should not do any serious harm, if any.
    Roundup is not selective so just know that whatever is green will be hurt by contact with Roundup. Late fall is an alternative time to spray japanese honeysuckle because it is nearly evergreen and most of the natives will be dormant then. Cut stem application of Round up to the multiflora and to honeysuckle shrubs is a more targeted way to attack those plants if you are concerned about inadvertently spraying a native. If you've got nothing but invasives in a particular area then you can go no-holds barred with the Roundup in that area at any time it is warm enough (and not too windy) for the stuff to work. I have recently found that many honeysuckle shrubs can be ripped right out of the ground without too much effort. After all that hacking there will be some germination of seeds from those invasives that now have some new light. You did the right thing by hacking the invaders, just follow up for the inevitable counter-attack.

• mbuckmaster
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the advice, bob. The leaves are 3-4 inches deep in some places, so mowing them would just help them break down a little...although you're right--it would give more sunlight to the invasives! They have chokes most natives that once existed here (expect for the wild grape vines!). I do rip the honeysuckle out, and it's easy, especially right after the rain. I'll follow your suggestion of just painting the multiflora instead of spraying everything, and then go from there.

Am I crazy, or does anyone else actually (sort of) enjoy destroying invasives? Obviously, I'd rather just have them gone, but there is a semi-perverse pleasure in viciously hacking them to the ground. A real stress reliever! =)

• bob64
    16 years ago

No cause is complete without an enemy. Of course it's fun. It's the one time you can break something and still be "responsible".

• gardenaddict65
    16 years ago

I have been creating paths in my woodland garden and have raked up the leaves into circles around the trees I am keeping. Then I mow them to chop them up. I rerake them and mow them again. The result is really nice. A fine mulch spread evenly by the mower that is free with a little work. The process has really cleaned up my garden, it looks awesome!

As for the grasses that I don't want, I pull them up by the roots! Some of them are stubborn and it takes a little convincing with a shovel. I like the results because I want definate paths free of clumps.

I say pull the grass and mow the leaves, you will love it!

• waplummer
    16 years ago

I don't see how you can set the blade low enough to do a lot of good plus the problem of hitting stones. It's been some 40 years since I cleared my paths, but I probably used a grub hoe. Over the years moss has covered the paths. Any desirable plants that seed themselves, like geranium maculatum, get transplanted. In the fall I will either rake with a rubber-tined rake or use a leaf blower.

• mbuckmaster
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the advice. I'm enjoying this process quite a bit...clearing the invasives out and beginning to re-plant some natives and sow some wildflower seeds. I don't have a problem with stones so much...the tight tulip poplar roots have sucked those down or spit them out into the creek long ago! I am using my LeafHog to shred some leaves for mulch around the understory trees, thanks for the idea, addict!

I also cut down a wildgrape vine that was as thick as my wrist yesterday--it was covering three wild dogwoods and may have killed them...we'll see soon. Had to use a chainsaw for some parts of it! I must have pulled out a hundred feet or more of vine...wow.

• green-zeus
    16 years ago

When I do this, I leave the deck up and mow on thru. Do it every few weeks and you'll eventually chop off the remains of wild roses,etc. It's the easiest way to keep a path marked.

Sponsored