Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plans needed for kids to build a beehive?

Posted by chrmann z7 AL (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 21, 09 at 13:30

Our scout group is doing a project called "save the bees". We are designing a woodland garden for beehives to be.

We need plans for a simple-to-make beehive that would not cost us much $ for upkeep.

Who has any plans and are willing to share them with me?

Thanks!
Chrmann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plans needed for kids to build a beehive?

Check with some of your local beekeepers. Many hives are just squares of wood. Rather than a bee hive I would suggest that your scouts build mason bee homes. These are tubes of cardboard that mason bees lay their eggs in along with food for the larva. Regular bee hives need continous care. They are not something that you build then leave.

o

Bees seem to love our basil!

o

Bees need lots of flowering plants from which to collect pollen. A full sun would seem more appropriate than a woodland garden (to me, a woodland garden implies partial shade).

Just something to consider.

Here is a link that might be useful: Creating a pollinator garden

o

Attached is a list of members of the Alabama Beekeepers Association. I hope you can find someone to help in your location.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here