Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My woodland plant list

Posted by hoyess z5 ON Can (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 5, 09 at 14:51

FYI I posted this in the native plant forum as well since the items on my list are native plants.

Over the past three to four years we have been creating a series of gardens and small woodlands on our property either from existing lawn area or reclaimed scrub brush. Our priorities until now have been to put in many trees and shrubs and not focus too much on the 'floor'. These areas were either mulched (in the case of the lawn to kill the grass) or I have spent a large amount of time mulching and trying to eliminate invasive weeds (especially garlic mustard). This year, I would like to really work on the perennial layer.

Another development over the past four years or so is that I have gravitated towards more and more natives. Although I still use some 'exotics' I would say I now plant about 70-80% native trees and shrubs. Having said that, I've come up with a list of native perennials I'm thinking of adding this year. As I don't have experience with many of these I'd really appreciate some feedback on the list. I'm trying to steer away from any aggressive varieties or varieties that will seed to quickly and becme hard to control as much of our woodlands still have small trees and I already spend a lot of time keeping up with the current invasives.

For areas where I already have filtered to full shade, average to moist conditions:

Anemone quinquefolia
Arisaema triphyllum
Asarum canadense
Cornus canadensis (may be difficult in my soil)
Cypripedium parviflorum
Dicentra cucullaria and canadensis
Erythronium americanum
Hepatica acutiloba
Heuchera americana
Mertensia virginica
Podophyllum peltatum
Polemonium reptans
Polygonatum pubescens
Polystichum acrostichoides
Sanguinara canadensis
Smilacina racemosa
Tiarella cordifolia
Trillium grandiflorum
Viola canadensis
Viola pubescens

Areas where trees have not really created full cover yet but will as they grow.

Aquilegia candensis
Erythronium americanum
Gernaium maculatum
Lilium philadelphicum
Penstemon digitalis
Lupinus perennis
Heuchera americana
Sisyrinchium montanum (I already have some I can use)
Viola canadensis
Viola pubescens

In these areas I already have some hostas, exotic coral bells, sweet woodruff, tiarella cultivars in the shady areas from my other gardens. I will remove these over time. Similarly in the sunnier areas I have filled some spots in with some non-natives for now.

Thanks for any thoughts and ideas. It will be quite a dollar investment so I want to make good choices.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My woodland plant list

If you have deer hey will relish the Trillium, the Smilacina and the Lilium. They are all good choices. Other ferns you might consider are ano of the three Osmundas, any Dryopteris, but especially D. goldiana as well as Adiantum pedatum.

o
RE: My woodland plant list

I'd definitely add woodland phlox Phlox Divaricata and shooting stars Dodecatheon Meadia as well as woodland knotweed Polygonum virginianum. All can handle part sun to shade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here