Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ganmymind

Honeysuckle and Black Locust

GAnmymind
19 years ago

Hello all. I recently bought my first house which has a small, wooded portion on the land, mostly tall southern pines. This forum has been indespensible! I recently jumped into clearing out a lot of Japanese Honeysuckle. I am very new at this...so how can I make this stuff thats running all over the ground and into the shorter trees go away? I have the industry to take care of the stuff in the trees and bushes, but what about the whole system that is manifesting itself under the pinestraw that's pawing around for a new host? Don't get me wrong, I think it's very nice smelling and all, but in a few years we wont be able to walk through it if we dont do something about it.

Second thing. I recently identified a row of small trees, probably 3 or 4 years old, as black locust on the edge of a small drainage area on my land. That is in fact what the honeysuckle is mangling the most. Stay or go? Im at the very southern end of it's native area(perhaps even further south), and Im getting mixed messages about whether I should foster it or cut it away and start something else. Thanks, yall.

Comments (2)

Sponsored