Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plantings for difficult area

Posted by ilitem Maryland (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 4, 07 at 8:03

I hope someone will be able to assist me. We had several damaged branches on our pine trees so we cut them off. When we did this, we could look into our neighbors yard and it wasn't pretty. Unfortunately, I am not certain what can be planted under the pine tree canopy that will grow and yet block their yard.

One landscaper suggested that I move my plantings out from under the tree canopy, but that puts it too close to the gates to the back yard.

I would appreciate any assistance that you can give me regarding this problem. Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plantings for difficult area

It can be tough to get anything to grow thickly under a pine tree, or under any other dense tree. I think the landscaper had a good idea when he suggested moving the plantings away from the tree, but this might not be practical. If you are looking for an evergreen, dense shrub that will grow in shade, you have only a fwe choices. If you live in an area without too many deer Yew is an option. There is a native American Yew but this is hard to find in nurseries. Japanese Yew comes in many varieties, including some low growers and some taller ones. Another choice is holly. There are many hybrid hollys that are sold everywhere and will tolerate shade reasonably well. Anything you plant under a tree will grow slowly if there is dense shade and a lot of root competition from the tree. If the shade is less dense, then some other options are available such as Mountain Laurel (Kalmia latifolia) and rhododendrons. If you are looking for a deciduous shrub I'd try Maple-leaf Viburnum (Viburnum acerfolium) which is a pretty shrub that can grow in dry shade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here