Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom_nwnj

Clearing out invasive brush // sharpen a water feature

tom_nwnj
11 years ago

I have a corner of our property, been covered with vines and invasive "Roosevelt Roses". I started clearing it last season, and now have made a little more headway. It has a stream which runs nearly all year. I am planning on doing some work with the vertical drop, try to get a working waterfall. (All those moss covered rocks in the back of the third pic. it would be at least a two foot drop waterfall. Might have to hire a man with an small excavator to move all the rocks. Cost ... $)

Hardwoods are several black walnuts, a black cherry (center in the first pic), some white ash, one sickly butternut. Second pic shows a white birch in the foreground, pulled to a 45 degree by a huge Roosevelt Rose. I hope the tree recovers, but not likely. In the background of the second pic is a red cedar, also pulled to a 45 in a snowstorm a few years ago. This one may have to come down as well.

For perspective, the white building is a 20'X20' tractor shed.

Question is, I left remain many stumps of the roosevelt roses. What is the best way to remove these? I have an old farm tractor. Could possibly pull them out with a chain, but that will probably tear up the loose terrain. Was thinking more of the lines of getting a large bumper jack and pulling them out that way. Any ideas?

Also, what would work here, low growing, something that the deer will not eat? Hostas?

Thanks for any ideas, encouragement.

Right click on these for larger pic.

{{gwi:248981}}

Comments (3)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals