Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clearing out invasive brush // sharpen a water feature

Posted by tom_nwnj z6 NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 8:32

I have a corner of our property, been covered with vines and invasive "Roosevelt Roses". I started clearing it last season, and now have made a little more headway. It has a stream which runs nearly all year. I am planning on doing some work with the vertical drop, try to get a working waterfall. (All those moss covered rocks in the back of the third pic. it would be at least a two foot drop waterfall. Might have to hire a man with an small excavator to move all the rocks. Cost ... $)

Hardwoods are several black walnuts, a black cherry (center in the first pic), some white ash, one sickly butternut. Second pic shows a white birch in the foreground, pulled to a 45 degree by a huge Roosevelt Rose. I hope the tree recovers, but not likely. In the background of the second pic is a red cedar, also pulled to a 45 in a snowstorm a few years ago. This one may have to come down as well.

For perspective, the white building is a 20'X20' tractor shed.

Question is, I left remain many stumps of the roosevelt roses. What is the best way to remove these? I have an old farm tractor. Could possibly pull them out with a chain, but that will probably tear up the loose terrain. Was thinking more of the lines of getting a large bumper jack and pulling them out that way. Any ideas?

Also, what would work here, low growing, something that the deer will not eat? Hostas?

Thanks for any ideas, encouragement.

Right click on these for larger pic.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clearing out invasive brush // sharpen a water feature

Beebalm, Monarda didyma would do well there, that is something deer will not eat. Also some ferns, Ostrich fern would grow in those conditions. I would also plants some small understory trees around the stream ( eastern redbud and flowering dogwoods). That area has a lot of potential.

o

Deer love hostas around here.

The do not eat
toad lily
foam flower
coralbells
astilbes
hellebores
St John's wort
Bleeding hearts
Virginia blue bells
woodland phlox
trilliums (usually)
Liatris (might be too shady in your yard though)

fritillaria (checkered lily)
Daffodils
Hyacinths

o

My thoughts are that if you pull stumps out you will create more chance for erosion and expose weed seeds that will sprout. Can you just leave them alone to rot naturally and plant around them?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here