Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identify twisted tree - Hathersage

Posted by lemonstar UK, Peak District (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 9:16

This is without doubt a very common and unremarkable tree but in the winter it's harder for me to identify especially when I only know the names of a few common trees from their leaves.

The branches are twisted - they covered a wide band on the slopes leading down to a stream - as you can see form the picture the whole area is damp and mossy. The slope was just down-bank from a heather moorland and a band of silver birch trees at the top of the bank. Are these just some variety of oak?

This post was edited by lemonstar on Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 9:29

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identify twisted tree - Hathersage

What a beautiful place! Is Padley Gorge nearby? I found a photo on the link below w/similar trees...the author referred to them as sessile oaks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Padley Gorge - sessile oaks

o
RE: Help identify twisted tree - Hathersage

The trees on this slope do lead down to Padley Gorge - and the walk up it is as pretty as it seems. There are 3 huge sessile oaks lining a neighbours garden (75-85ft high) - using a book of British & European trees I identified them from their slightly elongated version of a traditional oak leaf but the book, like so many others I guess, doesn't give much guidance on identifying trees without leaves and most of the pictures are of mature trees, there is a very limited list of buds in this book that can be identify but I didn't take any close up photos.

Thanks for the suggestion - maybe they are young sessile oaks - I wondered if the acid soil for the purple heather and silver birch on the moors at the top gave any suggestion as to the soil type on the slopes - it's mossy on these wooded slopes around the stream and gritstone definitely dominates the region.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here