Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clueless_in_oh

No trillium yet -- too early?

clueless_in_oh
18 years ago

Hey everyone-- I got some nursery-grown T. grandiflorum last fall, planted bare root in November, nothing up yet, is it too early, or should I dig down a little and investigate? Thanks for the advice.

Comments (7)

• kwoods
    18 years ago

Don't dig.... be patient. They'll come up.... or not.... digging won't help anything but your curiosity and possibly damage the little guys. Mine are just coming up and I'm in Z7. Spring will come for you eventually.

• dbockwoldt
    18 years ago

IM n Zone 5 and haven't seen any trillium yet. The garlic mustard however is going full swing!!

• huachuma
    18 years ago

The West's native species have just started popping up in my yard in Sacramento over the past couple weeks. And we've had a very mild, (temperature wise), winter...

Mike

• knottyceltic
    18 years ago

I'm in 5b southern Ontario and there is no Trillium (grandiflora OR erectum) yet. We have Blue Cohosh peaking through and trout lily 'just' poking out of the ground but nothing else, well except as others said, the garlic mustard. Keep after that GM...it's easy to pull if you position your fingers on the root just below the surface of the soil. Better to get it now before it goes to seed. I ***HATE*** Garlic Mustard! Must get the t-shirt ;o)

Barb

• knottyceltic
    18 years ago

Well I blinked and there were the Trilliums ;o) Both erectum and grandiflora are up and just about ready to open. They should bloom around the same time as the Trout Lilies. :o)

Barb

• kwoods
    18 years ago

Love it when that happens ;o)

• knottyceltic
    18 years ago

KWOODS, this year I'm trying to keep a dilligent diary of when things pop out of the ground. I'm not a good "diary keeper" as I always forget to make notations but I'm really putting my mind to it this year to see if I can catch everything as it comes up out of the ground. Next year I will try to do the same and compare notes from one year to the next. We've only lived on this property for 2.5 years so I'm not yet familiar with when each species pokes it's head out of the soil. We have been blessed with a city property that has naturally growing ferns, trillium, trout lily and blue cohosh so it's kinda a rare deal to have such things inside the city. Our house is built in a subdivision that used to be a farm woodlot but is now part of the city proper. I'm enjoying seeing the plants popping up so much that my heart skips a beat each time I find something new. Today the Virginia Bluebells are poking through the soil! :o)

Barb

Sponsored