Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Evergreens that grow in shade/heavy shade??

Posted by sutallee 7 B/ georgia (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 4, 08 at 11:12

I live on the back of a 5 wooded achers in Canton Ga.
There is a subdivision being built behind me. Is there a tree out there that I can plant so I cant see my neighbors and vise versa in the winter time when all the other leaves have fallen?

Thanks in advance,
Phil Albright

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Evergreens that grow in shade/heavy shade??

Don't know about Ga. Here I have some native hollies that are growing in very deep shade that are doing well.

o

Hemlock. You can get 7 gallon and larger at Buck Jones Nursery off Hwy 140 as you head south towards Roswell.

o

White pine is pretty tolerant of shade. Not total shade tho. If they get a half-day of good sun, they'll do well.

o

How about a mix of magnolia grandiflora, ilex opaca or 'Savannah Holly' which is an evergreen hybrid of i. opaca and i. cassine, eastern red cedar, and whatever pines do well in your area?
Sherry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here