Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Systemic removal of wild raspberry?

Posted by TwoSevenRight central MA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 12, 05 at 11:37

I have a sunny glade in my woods that has been commandeered by wild raspberry. It has to go as the area has become totally overgrown and unsuitable for walking through. I started the removal process using my brushcutter, but stopped after quickly realizing that the stuff would immediately grow back. Is there a systemic herbicide that will get to the roots and clear it out of there once and for all, and if so, should I wait until the canes begin to leaf out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Systemic removal of wild raspberry?

Herbicides are absorbed only during periods of plant growth. Don't spray bare canes. Wait till they leaf out.

The best way to try to control raspberry/blackberry infestations is to try to dig/pull the root crowns and as much of the roots as possible (best done during the winter season) and the spraying the new plants in the spring with the much feared 2,4-D (or Roundup, if the temperature is warm enough).

This is one of the more difficult aspects of woodland gardening, but it can be done.

o

Roundup is not that effective on cane berry growth in the spring. Fall is the ideal time. Other herbicides can be used in the spring to much greater effect. "Brush" killing herbicides containing triclopyr are often used for this task. Systemic herbicides can be effective for freshly cut stems and cut stumps; foliar applications are not the only method of application.

o

• Posted by Suenh cold end of 4! (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 23, 05 at 7:35

goats

o

Wild raspberry is one of the favorite berries of many different species of songbirds, so I only beat it back where it grows directly into my woodland paths. Every summer I enjoy the sight of birds feasting on the raspberries. Do consider relocating your trail around your raspberry patch or at least leaving some raspberries for the birds, and consider whether an aggressive herbicide program might harm the wildlife in your yard.

o

Well, I'm discouraged. I have a pretty powerful gas powered Stihl weed eater with a rotating blade. My goal - maintain a farmer's dirt road that runs between two stone walls. It hasn't been farmed since 1930 and we recently had the "pastures" logged. So the raspberries have taken over the newly sunny pastures and don't know that the road is off limits. The road is about 400 yards, so digging up the crowns is not an option. Wish me luck. At least there is no poison ivy (he said).

o

After clearing many areas here of wild blackberry canes, I've found the only way of keeping them out was to keep the area mowed. Where I can't mow, I weedeat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here