Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberries near a black walnut ok?

Posted by myrtle_59 w PA zone 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 08 at 15:31

I have a medium sized black walnut in the yard and want to plant some blueberry bushes within about 10 feet of the base of the walnut. Are blueberries sensitive to walnut?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberries near a black walnut ok?

What you need to search for is "juglone tolerant shrubs". I found one list and "Vaccinium" (that is, blueberry) is not on the tolerant list.

Here is a link that might be useful: One such list

o
RE: Blueberries near a black walnut ok?

Thanks.

I found this:

Many plants such as tomato, potato, blackberry, blueberry, azalea, mountain laurel, rhododendron, red pine and apple may be injured or killed within one to two months of growth within the root zone of these trees. The toxic zone from a mature tree occurs on average in a 50 to 60 foot radius from the trunk, but can be up to 80 feet.

Guess they will have to go somewhere else.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here