Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's Up? (In your woods, of course)

Posted by jimbobfeeny 5a IN (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 15:55

Spring is finally here - 67 today, with a low of 50. Spring wildflowers have been slow this year - The buds are just opening on the cutleaf toothworts, dutchman's breeches, hepaticas, and Trillium luteum (The others are just sprouting). Virginia bluebells and celandine poppy are just coming up, and the buckeyes are sprouting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's Up? (In your woods, of course)

Hi Jimbob,

I was just outside today (Northern VA appalachians) and found LOTS of bloodroot, violets, trilliums (sessile?), bluebells, hepatica, wood anenome, rue, mayapples and though it's not technically a wildflower, I've got to include the harbinger of spring...spicebushes (Lindera benzoin) that lay a yellow blanket over everything!

Happy flowering!

o

Jim, I have violets, trilliums, bluebells, mayapple, Dutchman's breeches, trout lilly flowering in my Northshore (just outside of Asbury Park NJ) yard.

Redbuds and dogwoods are ready to pop as well. No native rhodies going off yet - it's lepidote time with a lone Rh. Taurus flowering along with Mary Fleming, and the last of Rh. Mucronulatum 'Pink Panther'.

o

Hi Jim, a little behind you because we are near Lake Erie.
Spanish Bluebells leafs up,no Flowers yet,several of the Trilliums starting to open, a few Mayapples sticking their heads up.Trout Lillies leaves are up but no flowers on them either.Half of my Bloodroot Flowers were up but rain/snow knocked them off...Rest haven't opened up yet..Six or Seven types of ferns sending their fronds up. 27 Degrees this morning ,hope that doesn't knock off a lot of stuff.Wild onions or leeks popping up all over.At the bottom of the property where water usually lays Spearamint starting to rise out of the wetter areas.Some warmer days should make things start to pop..Later....Tom

o

Hi Jim. Spring came a couple months ago down here in the Piney Woods of Texas. I've been yanking up clovers, vines, wildflowers, grasses, and anything else that isn't a tree or shrub. I'm seeing more Hackberry seedlings this year than I've ever seen in my life. Perhaps because it has been a little more dry than normal. I'm also glad to see some Yaupon Hollies, Loblolly Pines, and Post Oaks sprouting up.

This post was edited by s8us89ds on Wed, May 15, 13 at 22:16

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here