Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree cut in woods smells like poo....??

Posted by yoyobon (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 9, 11 at 18:10

We were clearing some brush and small trees and started noticing there was an awful smell of dog poo...and no, there wasn't any actual poo there.

Does anyone know what tree or bush in the wild would give off such a strong smell? And that smell traveled quite a distance too.

We live in the northeast.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree cut in woods smells like poo....??

If you have Tree of Heaven (a non-native invasive tree that gets around), it sticks when cut. In fact it's nickname is "stinking sumac". Look up pictures and see if that is your plant.

o
RE: Tree cut in woods smells like poo....??

I had a massive siberian elm cut down in my front yard in fall 2008. Trunk was 5 feet across. I had the stump ground out. Filled the hole with soil, and grass is planted there now.

All season 2009 and 2010, I've had that poo smell in 2 very specific spots at the perimeter of the stump. It's not the whole perimeter that smells, just those 2 isolated spots. We'll see what happens in 2011.

One of the smelly spots, there is a little wood visible at the surface, and that piece of wood weeps all year. You can smell it 5 feet away...easy.

People/visitors and my kid comment on the smell. It's strong. It is the smell of poo...exactly the smell. It's definitely the tree.

Gayle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here