Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fivemurfs

Away from water

fivemurfs
15 years ago

I have an area on the back of my property that I think would make a nice woodland garden. The problem is there is no water source so I've hesitated getting anything started. Last year I put a couple of azaleas, a hydrangea and a couple of other things that should have survived the dappled sun, but the drought got them. The area is a stand of white locust trees invaded by lots of honeysuckle, which I think I can cut to the ground and inject roundup in the stumps. The previous owners buried things there. Last year I tried to dig and found a trash can lid, shingles, and various rust parts of equipment. I'm afraid to dig anymore. For years we've used the area to dump leaves raked from the lawn, so the soil is very fertile and grass and weeds are mostly smothered out. Here are my questions...

Are there any plants that can live without a regular water source for the first year? We're getting a lot of rain now, but who knows what next week will bring. Would it be better to plant in the late fall? I have lots of nice woodland flowers, like trillium, mayapple, virginia bluebell, solomon's seal, barrenwort, etc. The trouble is most of these are not visible to dig in the fall.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists