Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taurean_gw

Long lasting woodland plants

taurean
15 years ago

What are some long lasting plants that won't go dormant through summer and late summer.

I know ferns are good. My leatherwood and christmas ferns are evergreens. But something besides ferns.

My garden is also quite dry. The only thing that seems to stay through me till the end is Solomon's Seal (variegated and false) and the ferns except the ostrich fern.

Comments (14)

• rbrady
    15 years ago

Jack in the pulpit will last all summer if it is pollinated. Red and white baneberry usually last, too.

Rhonda

• linda_schreiber
    15 years ago

Goldenseal, gingers [american and european], black cohosh, jewelweed, woodruff as ground cover, corydalis, hellebores, hostas of all sorts, lots of options.

• waplummer
    15 years ago

Ina dry summer most natives will go dormant. If every summer is dry they probably won't survive more than one or two years. If Smilacina and Polygonatum and ferns do well, it can't be too dry. So the above suggestions will probably work. Then too it depends how sunny the spot is. My maidenhair ferns need shade; the ones that got the afternoon sun petered out.

• taurean
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I guess I am over exaggerating a bit. We do have some pretty wacky wet summers round here. Last year there was a tornado around here!

Thanks for suggestions. I'll try to look into those when I head up to Nasami Farm Native Plant Nursery.

• arcy_gw
    15 years ago

My columbine last, astilbe, fern leaf bleeding heart,

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Tiarella and heuchera (Coral bells).

• myrtle_59
    15 years ago

solomon's seal

• ontnative
    15 years ago

I have Chelone lyonii (pink turtlehead) in a fairly shady bed on the NE side of my house, and it has lovely pink blooms in mid/late fall when most everything else has finished.

• linda_schreiber
    15 years ago

I forgot one of my absolute favorites...
    wood poppies (Stylophorum diphyllum), sometimes called Celandine poppies! They start early, and bloom in April and through May, and are lovely feathery mounds of foliage, 1-2 feet high. At least in southern Michigan, they tolerate full summer heat and are reasonably drought-tolerant. They bloom long, and the foliage stays lovely into fall. They will self-seed, but not invasively, and are easy to weed out if they get in the wrong place. They will take light to deep shade. Great plants!

• amelanchier
    15 years ago

Hepatica leaves stick around year-round, though they can get pretty ragged.

• taurean
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I do have some of those plants already. Solomon's Seal, columbine, astilbe is next to the water garden which can easily be moved. We are on a budget so I steal other plants from my other gardens. Mainly my dads.

Thanks for the GREAT help.

Now to go on the hunt for these guys.

• arcy_gw
    15 years ago

toad lily, astilbe, foxglove, hosta, my ostrich ferns don't go dormant, ajuga,creeping jenny, vinca,

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

Columbine, wild geranium, thimbleweed.

• razorback33
    15 years ago

Natives-
    Green and Gold (Chrysogonum virginianum)
    Galax urceolata
    Patridgeberry (Mitchella repens)
    Yellowroot (Xanthorhiza simplicissima)
    Greek valerian (Polemonium reptans)
    Hearts-a-bursting (Euonymus americana)
    Rattlesnake plantain (Goodyera sp.) 3 sp. in MA
    Crippled cranefly Orchid-Tipularia discolor(foliage dies down in summer, then flower stem emerges)
    'Annabelle' Hydrangea arborescens
    Sweet shrub (Calycanthus floridus)
    Dwarf Crested Iris (cristata)
    Trillium sp. (if they set seed, foliage remains until seed ripen, often late summer)
    Spotted wintergreen (Chimaphila maculata)
    Doghobble (Leucothoe fontanesiana) 'Girard's Rainbow' is a particularly attractive cultivar with multi-color foliage.

Non-Native- (but, not invasive)
    Epimediums
    Dwarf Conifers(Chamacyparis pisifera)
    Dwarf Pieris japonica (Compacta, Pigmy, Cavatine, Bolero)
    Good hunting!
    Rb

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler