Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa2004

buying woodland plants

lisa2004
19 years ago

I am starting a shade/woodland garden and need plants. I want trilliums, columbines, ferns, etc. Is there any one place to order everything? Shipping is expensive if I order from a bunch of different companies. Thanks.

Comments (12)

• razorback33
    19 years ago

Look at roslynnursery.com online catalog. They have an extensive list of the plants you are seeking and many other shade tolerant perennials, shrubs and trees. I have ordered from them in the past, with few problems and the servive was exceptional.
    Rb

• oath5
    19 years ago

There is a nice site, from what I've seen ,very nice online and print catalouge, Sublight Gardens, they sell lots of wildflowers and they sell a nice selection of ferns and other woodland plants your would see in East Coast native forests, perfect for New York ^^
    no lady slippers though, they go against that.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunlight Gardens

• vicki448
    19 years ago

Try Gardens of the Blue Ridge. I would look at gardenwatchdog before you order from Roslyn nursery, they have some very bad reviews lately. I bought some perennials from them 3 years ago, alot of misidentified plants and they were poorly packed. There are better sources out there. Sunlight gardens has great plants. They don't carry any trilliums. Good luck!

• fusty_overalls
    19 years ago

Hi, Lisa. I *just* got done responding to the previous post about where to get reasonable, good quality jack-in-the-pulpit and, i'll give you the same recommendation as i gave molly...try gardenweb.com's plant exchange forum. i've had such great luck with it - the plants are usually WAY better than you'll get with mail order places and all you pay is for the shipping (and, whatever you arrange to trade). usually, i end up trading something that i have too much of (compost filler as far as I'm concerned) and i get something that i want. i'll have ferns this spring. I frequently see columbines on that forum....i've never seen triliums but, you can always do a posting and see what happens.

good luck!

• shelley_r
    19 years ago

I haven't ordered from them (yet), but Arrowhead Alpines seems to have a good reputation here on Gardenweb. They have an incredible selection and the prices seem fair.

Shelley

Here is a link that might be useful: Arrowhead Alpines woodland plants

• JJeane
    19 years ago

I have ordered from Niche Gardens in North Carolina... good service, good plants. Natives are indicated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Niche Gardens

• kwoods
    19 years ago

I like munchkin nursery. I also like Rock Island Wildflowers. and We-Du now called Meadowbrook.

I worked for Phil Waldman at Roslyn Nursey a lo-ong time ago. My mom always taught me "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" sooo......

• Dieter2NC
    19 years ago

I can second the referal to Nichegardens. Some plants may not be hardy in your area, so check closely.

• plantsnobin
    19 years ago

I have bought from Munchkin Nursery and been pleased.

• clarenancy
    19 years ago

I have a friend who cultivates and sells wholesale. In fact one of his azaleas is listed at Rosylyn's, mentioned above. Most of his plants are for a Southern climate. But he's at www.doddnatives.com. You should ask your nursery to look into his offerings. You cannot buy through his site but it is a good resource for a picture and description of various cultivars.

Another resource I have used with success is www.plantdelights.com.

Again, these are mostly more Southern. BUT not all. They've got a great selection of hostas which won't grow in my region at all. PD nursery gives a thorough description of each plant including its origins. Not all are native but a good number are.

CN

• gmehl
    19 years ago

Make a pilgrimage to New England Wilflower Society's garden in the woods (Massachusetts)... not only for inspiration, but shopping galore. It is well worth at least a two-day visit.

Sponsored