Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID Needed - Similar to Harbinger-of-Spring

Posted by indiancreeker z5 IL (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 24, 06 at 20:51

I'm trying to identify a plant which is currently blooming in my woodland. It has very tiny (1/8 inch)white flowers with 5 rounded petals. The plants are quite common and about a foot high, with rounded,lobed leaves similar to harbinger-of-spring or something in the hemlock family. I'm unable to find anything that matches it any of my field guides. It's taller than harbinger-of-spring, later blooming I think, and it does not have a round bulbous root, or red anthers. I do not think it's harbinger-of-spring, but thought the comparison might help id it. Any body have any ideas of what it might be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID Needed - Similar to Harbinger-of-Spring

WHAT DO YOU CALL HARBINGER OF SPRING?

o

Harbinger-of-Spring or Erigenia bulbosa is a favorite of botanical field trips in late March or early April because it is the first such plant to bloom. I have never seen one more than 2" in height.
You are describing a plant similar to Cardamine with one exception, Cardamine like all crucifers has only 4 petals.
Sam

o

• Posted by dees z6A Oh (My Page) on
    Wed, May 3, 06 at 1:04

Could it be false rue anemone?

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Image Search

o

I was just able to id this plant, thanks to a link in the Native Plants forum to a Missouri Flora website. The plant is Chaerophyllum procumbens (Streambank Chervil), and it's not in my Newcomb's so that's why I couldn't find it. It is a member of the Apiaceae family. I'm so excited I finally found it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here