Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmity29

Wisconsin Lot- Tree Questions

msmity29
16 years ago

After much research, we are contemplating purchasing a 5 acre lot in north central Wisconsin (Oneida county). The majority of this lot is wooded with birch, with some pines and I believe poplars (or maybe ash) trees present. What kind of trees would be recommended to add to the esisting ones? Eventually we would like to build and I know birch are not necessarily recommended around a house because of their softness. Woulds oaks, maples additional pines and apple trees be good choices?

Also, there is a large open area at the front of the lot (along the road) approximately 75 feet deep and covering the whole width of the lot that currently just has grass and wildflowers growing in it. We have been told by the developer that the trees in this area were clear cut a number of years ago. So what the developer did two or three years ago was cover the stumps with the soil taken out when he put in the roads. Does anyone have any suggestions on what we can do with this area? We thought of possibly leaving some of the area as grass for the kids to play in and planting trees in the rest of it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Comments (5)

• myrtle_59
    16 years ago

You might want to do nothing for a year and see what it looks like in all four seasons. I think birch are beautiful myself. Are you planning to plant trees for future lumber harvest or to look pretty if you put a house there?

I do not know Wisconsin but I am very fond of maples and a few apples are very nice to have. If you are thinking of living there, some understory trees that bloom in the spring might be nice. In my area that might be dogwood, redbud and service berry. I don't know what is native to Wisconsin. Enjoy.

Also you may want to ask around the area and see if there are issues with deer browsing. You don't want to put a lot of money into young plants like rhododendron that the deer are going to eat the first winter.

• msmity29
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The trees will be for landscaping/austetic purposes for a future house. I am pretty sure there will be issues with deer. Thanks for the info!

• bob64
    16 years ago

Near a house you usually want low growing trees. The further out you get from a building the taller you can go with your trees. Oaks and maples are fairly sturdy. Some of the very fast growing trees have weak wood which you do not want near a building. My understanding is that if you plant apple trees that you should plant more than one variety or also plant some crabapple trees but check that out with someone who knows more about orchards than me. I also agree that you might actually want to wait and observe for a year before doing too much. This will help you see what you do and don't like through all of the seasons. I am attaching a link for an organization I found through random searching. They might have good suggestions for your area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Botanical Club of Wisconsin.

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

Northern Wisconsin is not really known for its oak forests. Not really the right climate or soil for oak trees.

Stick to pine trees, cedar trees and birch grow best.

When living in the north woods, where you are already surrounded by trees, I would focus the landscape on understory type/smaller trees and shrubs. You should be able to grow blueberries and cranberries quite well.

And you should keep in mind a fire protection...keeping the trees a certain distance from the house.

• ladyslppr
    15 years ago

I'd take my time, learn what is there naturally. Your lot may have been clearcut in the past, so it may have mostly the types of trees that quickly grow in clearcuts, even if the cutting was long ago. Somewhere nearbyb, however, I bet there are places with a wider variety of native trees, and you will discover these spots as you get familiar with the area. This will give you ideas for other trees that are native and well suited to the area. Also, taking your time will help you pick out trees and shrubs that add interest year-round. If you plant everything in spring, you're likely to plant a lot of spring-flowering trees, and forget summer fruit, fall color, winter greenery, etc.