Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planting lily of the valley

Posted by mishko_2006 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 2, 07 at 21:26

I've just got 2 pink-flowerering LOV plants from a nursery.

Do I plant the thin "roots" horizontally 1 inch deep and leave the small 1 inch "bulbs" underground too? (one plant has one of these, the other two)

Or is this an emerging stalk to be left sticking out of the ground?

I'm asking as the nursery gave no instructions and I'm a newbie.

Many thanks

MIshko

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planting lily of the valley

MIshko, never had pink LOV,just the common white,not sure of the best way to plant them.But make sure, if they are like the white, that they are in a place you specifically want them.My whites looked great for a couple of years ,staying just where I wanted them.Little did I know they were sending runners all over creation.Next thing I knew I had a mess on my hands,they were popping up all over in my plants.I had to dig them back up and separate them from the plants roots. And anywhere they broke off new plants started growing from the pieces. I found them to be highly invasive in my woodlands...but you may want just a nice section off all by itself...nice plants though..good luck...Tom

o

I would put the whole thing under soil in a pot plunged in the ground. In fact, that is exactly what I am doing right now. I still have a 2x2' area to clear of lily of the valley before I plunge the pots. The part that is above ground is the green nub from which the leaves and flowers sprout. In my removal efforts, I have found some of these nubs to be just below the soil surface.

o

UGH! I would put them in big pots! LOV no matter pink or white is extremely invasive. If you don't have the time to keep it under control it will not only be YOUR plant but it will be your neighbours and their neighbours as well. If you pot them, all you have to do is bring them into somewhere cool in winter. I bring my pots to the cold room for the winter and then put them out again in early spring so they feel like they've had 'some' winter exposure before they sprout again.

Barb
southern Ontario, CANADA

o

Round up works well on LOV.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here